Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headstock designs and paint/stain colours?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JmD, Oct 22, 2005.

1. JmD

JmD

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    I've just got a Saga bass kit, and I've got artistic block.

Firstly I need a design for the headstock (It's a regular fender layout), as at the moment I've got a chunk of wood ripe for carving.

Secondly I need to paint the body. I'm thinking a dark brown/black wood stain then clear acrylic paint over the top?

Any inspiration/photos/linkies?

2. Just some things to keep in mind when designing a headstock...

- Try to keep a straight pull on the strings through the nut to the tuner. This puts less stress on the nut and helps with intonation in certain instances.

- Headstocks are not 1 dimensional - the outer shape isn't all that could define it's look. Consider the 3 dimensional aspects of the headstock when creating the design.

- Design on paper by tracing the neck from the 1st fret around the headstock shape and around the the 1st fret again. Darken this line with a Sharpie marker then make light pencil sketches on top of the existing pattern to see what can be done with the shape. Erase and start over or refiine as necessary.

The Saga kit bodies are made from basswood, a common but lesser expensive tonewood. Basswood is pretty soft and will absorb stain readily. I would recommend a sanding sealer to help toughen the outer surface a little before staining. It will also keep the fuzzies down. You should also use a pre-stain wood conditioner to assure that the stain goes in evenly.