Headstock Shape

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by g4string, Nov 10, 2003.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am thinking about doing a Warmoth project. I am wanting to do Jazz 5 string bass. The only problem is I hate the standard Fender headstock design, especially Fender's 5 string design.

My question is? If I bought a Warmoth neck with the blank headstock paddle, what luthier would you reccomend to shape the headstock for me and drill the holes for the tuning machines. I want my headstock to look like Lakland's 3/2 design or Sadowsky's 4/1 design.
  2. RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know if I'ld be up for it myself, but check out this headstock shape I came up with out of the fender shape. Large style tuner footprint "just" fits on the back towards the top. I think it looks pretty smooth.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You could also check out USA Custom Guitars; look at their USB-2-5 peghead. They claim they'll also do some custom shapes.

Quality is at least comparable to Warmoth from what I've heard, and possibly better. USACG was started by some ex-Warmothites, apparently.
  4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I'm with ya on that one man, I hate the Fender shape too. I am also looking for someone to do a custom shape for me, except on a 4 string neck.