Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headstock Shape

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by g4string, Nov 10, 2003.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I am thinking about doing a Warmoth project. I am wanting to do Jazz 5 string bass. The only problem is I hate the standard Fender headstock design, especially Fender's 5 string design.

My question is? If I bought a Warmoth neck with the blank headstock paddle, what luthier would you reccomend to shape the headstock for me and drill the holes for the tuning machines. I want my headstock to look like Lakland's 3/2 design or Sadowsky's 4/1 design.

2. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I don't know if I'ld be up for it myself, but check out this headstock shape I came up with out of the fender shape. Large style tuner footprint "just" fits on the back towards the top. I think it looks pretty smooth.

[​IMG]

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You could also check out USA Custom Guitars; look at their USB-2-5 peghead. They claim they'll also do some custom shapes.

www.usacustomguitars.com

Quality is at least comparable to Warmoth from what I've heard, and possibly better. USACG was started by some ex-Warmothites, apparently.

4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    I'm with ya on that one man, I hate the Fender shape too. I am also looking for someone to do a custom shape for me, except on a 4 string neck.