Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Headstock Signature help, please.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by callmeMrThumbs, Jan 9, 2006.

1. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Hey all. I was curious about puting a signature or symbol on a headstock and the different techniques that could be used. I know that some are inlayed and others seem to be painted on. How would I go about painting a signiture on the headstock? Any tips would help a bunch. Thanks.

-Josh

2. Easiest way I know of would be to do the signature on one of the film decals - either waterslide or pressure sensitive - and apply it to the headstock under a good dosing of clear. Use a Sharpie for black.

3. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Where do you get decals?

4. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Thanks, Hambone.

If I wanted more of a logo or label or symbol of some sort (specific design that could possibly be reproduced), could this also be done on a decal, or would I have to pay to get one made?

-Josh

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    You do it on your home PC. You get the decal material from whatever supplier you choose and then print using your standard home inkjet printer.

NOTE: I recommend a decent photo editing program where you can make one "picture" containing as many off your logos/sigs that will fit on one sheet.

6. Fasoldt Basses

Fasoldt Basses

Mar 22, 2005
    Stevens Point, WI
    Karl Thompson, Builder (Formerly Fat Karl)
    I've used a 23k gold paint from a caligrapher supply (usually used for gilding iluminations) and it seems to work well. It is actually just tiny flakes of gold with just enough glue to hold it together. It is easy to work with because you can put on multiple layers and then chip away any excess. Here is a picture, it isn't the best, but in real life this sig. really glows against the ebony.
    [​IMG]

7. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Does Office Depot carry the decal paper for an inkjet?