1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Headstock tuner for LOUD stages?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Does anyone have a great experience using headstock tuners during a gig, on a loud stage? Ran out of space this weekend & no room for my pedalboard...so, I just went straight in but had to borrow a tuner for a minute from a bandmate. I've got a couple, but I've never tried to using them during a loud stage. (I did try to use the guitarist's clip-on & it wasn't reading my bass over the stage volume)

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Try what you have first. They may work. Our stages aren't loud in between sets so I never had an issue with my D'addarios or Snark and wouldn't know what to tell you about tuners that work on loud stages.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    TC Polytune Clip destroys all other clip on tuners.

CameronJohnson and jd56hawk like this.
  4. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Excuse me if I'm wrong but clip on tuners work on the vibration of the instrument and are not (much) affected by ambient volume. I use one with my P unplugged and a headphone amp all the time.

I use a Snark, some models are better at tracking bass than others.

5. They do work on vibrations & not volumes.... but, loud volumes in tiny pubs = extra vibrations. I'm talking about a ROCK & ROLL band playing ROCK & ROLL. Not a church/in ear monitor, blues gig, coffee house, or huge outdoor stage. Indoors, monitors/amps/DRUMS loud.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    CameronJohnson likes this.
  6. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    I've tried gigging with headstock tuners, and I then go back next gig to a pedal.

On guitar, they work fine live for loud stages, but bass, not so much.

7. My blue Snark came with a tiny little hole with a microphone in it, I'm guessing for tuning instruments that you can't clip it. I was having issues with tuning in noisy environments, so I plugged the hole with a little epoxy and slapped a tiny piece of tape over it. Problem solved.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

My favorite clip on tuners are my Korgs: I have Pitchhawk and Sledgehammer models. They seem to work well in loud environments.

The only time I had trouble with a clip on (don't remember which one) was at a multi-band show -- I was tuning while standing right next to a large subwoofer. I just waited for a pause between songs.

One of my Snarks has a mic, but also a switch to alternate from mic to "vib" (headstock vibration). At one gig that tuner didn't seem to work, but then I discovered the switch had been bumped to mic.

I have other Snarks without a mic... and I wouldn't be surprised if they made one with a mic but without a switch.