Headstock Yellowing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JazzBassMayn, Feb 22, 2006.

1. JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    Hello everyone!! I have a '98 MIM Fender Jazz Bass. I am anxious for the headstock to start yellowing. Being that it's 8 years old it's not exactly new. My question is: Generally how old does a bass/headstock have to be to begin yellowing? I'm sure environment has some to do with it, but just a generalization. Thanks in advance!
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Depends on the finish on the bass i spose. I havent noticed MIM fenders to be especially prone to yellowing.
  3. Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    keep it in a smokey environment and it will happen faster, but as to how long this generally takes, im not quite sure.
  4. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    My early '60 Fenders have yellowed nicely. My '94 Jazz V Plus doesn't show any sign of yellowing. Modern finishes are apparently much more stable. Don't hold your breath.
  5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I've heard of people rubbing the neck with brown shoe polish to get an "aged/vintage/relic" look (YMMV - This info was obtained from a Fender guitar forum, and we all know how smart guitar players are ;))

As I understand it, the modern poly finishes are much more stable than the nitro lacquer used on vintage instruments. You could leave your instrument in a smokey room with direct sunlight on it for weeks and not see a change in color.
  6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Haha yea. For purely cosmetic reasons, take up smoking.

7. JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    hahahaha... I was thinking about going out and getting a couple of cartons!! All in the name of cosmetics like Mark said. That's hilarious! I'll just let time do it's thing and let 'er go. I think I'd feel kind of phony putting shoe polish on my headstock. Thanks guys.
  8. Take a plastic bag of some sort, put it around the headstock, get a smoker to inhale cigarettes and exhale into the bag, then tape it so it's airtight around the headstock, let it just sit like that for however long and it should do years of smoke damage.