Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

headstockless basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by K Dubbs, Jul 17, 2002.

1. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Who makes good headstockless basses?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Steinberger, Status, David King, probably lots of others.

3. Get a nice 80's Steinberger XL2A (or as HeavyDuty will surely chiem in, an XM!)

4. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Basslab, Marleaux, Leduc, Kubicki.

5. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    As a new bass player... I am curious... what i the point of a headstockless bass? Is it just for looks? I hope not... 'cause they is mo fo ugly.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    First of all, it's <b>headless</b> basses.

Headless basses have several advantages.
    • better balance because of:
      -smaller overall length, no weight of headstock and tuners
    • fewer deadspots that could be caused by a large headstock.
    • lower string tension (?)
    • brighter sound(?)

I used to have some quote from manufacturers on that topic, maybe I can dig it up again.

Other makers:
    • Le Fay
    • Clover
    • Human Base

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ned Steinberger, who designed the first commercially popular headless bass, was always uncomfortable with the weight of the neck, headstock, and especially the tuning machines in relation to a bass's body.

So, his initial thought was, "Why not put the tuning machines on the body instead of the headstock."

It all goes back to when he was working with Stuart Spector. Steinberger was an art school grad with a background in furniture making, so he tended to think "outside the box" when he became interested in guitars/basses.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    PBC (currently Bunker guitars) makes Headless basses.
    You can also find old headless Westones, Kramers, Corts, Ibanezes (Ibani?), Riverheads, First Strikes, Gittlers and Hohners.

9. status-graphite makes them if u want to spend alot of money. all there products are over $1,000

10. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Position of the tuners has _no_ effect on string tension. It can result in better tuning stability, however.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Speaking of Bunker, what's up with this bass? Seems like a headlesss bridge, but yet it has a head? Can someone explain this to me?

[​IMG]

12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It has to some degree, because the overall string length is smaller than on basses with headstocks.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OMG. Haven't we gone over this before? 34" scale -> same tension

15. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    OK. I am as frustrated as Geshel. :mad: :( Okay. I really feel like screaming, so I am going to use all caps, but I'll make it a small font size to be less obnoxious.

THE LENGTH OF THE STRING BEYOND THE VIBRATING PART HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT ON THE TENSION OR THE PITCH OF THE STRING. IF THE STRING WERE THE SAME WEIGHT, THE VIBRATING LENGTH WAS THE SAME LENGTH, AND THE TENSION WERE HIGHER, THE NOTE WOULD BE HIGHER IN PITCH!!!!!!

:eek: :eek:

<wipes sweat from brow>

time for my medication I think

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You're not wrong. They are. :D (there have been innumerable threads on this - suffice to say I'm not saying it won't sound/play differently - but the idea that it changes the tension on the string is a myth).

17. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, tension might be the wrong term for it, there can be a difference in feel though.

18. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    On unmentioned advantage-

I always found with a Steinberger it was much easier to do slides down at the nut end (zero fret end). I find the hardware on a normal bass gets in my way causing me top change hand position.

19. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Yeah, baby! XMs rule! :D

20. I've just picked up a Westone Super Headless bass, neck through and its made in the Matsumuko plant, Japan. Its the rare, more expensive walnut stained model - very nice! I've had many basses and I love this one. Its solidly built, sounds great, feels great, great to play and it'll last a very longtime. Well, its from '85 and its still going strong. Great bass, buy on eif you're into your headless stuff.