1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Headway, DPA & Full Circle Together?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by neddyrow, Mar 18, 2013.

1. neddyrow

neddyrow Captain of Team Orange Jacket Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    so i want to kick it up a notch for this summer's tour season where i will be playing a bunch of outdoor gigs and a few bigger venues. from my research, i think the best combination would be to run a full circle and my DPA into a headway EDB-1. i could run the DPA to FOH and full circle into the monitors or into my amp. it seems that would be the best route to go but i'm not sure if the phantom power on the headway will be enough (DPA is 48v and i think headway is less 24 or 18v) or if the headway works well doing 2 different outs from 2 different inputs.

if someone out there uses this combination, i would love to hear how it works for them or if someone out there uses something similar and really like it, i'd like to hear from them too.

thanks

2. massi

massi

Jan 17, 2013
    Hi there,
    the DPA will work with less power supply. Sound wise.... I make preamp so my contribution might not be objective.

3. Nathan Levine

Nathan Levine Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2008
    Anchorage, AK
    The headway will not send out two different signals.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Neddyrow
    I have the DPA 4099 and the Headway EDB-1. I haven't had any problems with the Headway's 18 volt Phantom, but if you look on the DPA site there is a chart indicating the noise floor raises when you use less than 48 volts.
    The problem I had was trying to blend the DPA with a Full Circle or Realist. The gain on Channel 1 is so hot that you don't get enough usable volume from the Full Circle or Realist, while Channel 2 has to be cranked almost to it's max. to use the DPA.
    David Gage makes an attenuated Planet Waves cable for the Realist, but I don't know if it will work with the Full Circle. I had to have the EDB-1 modified by Headway, to solve the problem. It works quite well, but to my knowledge, there isn't anyone stateside that can do that modification. The cost involved with shipping it back and forth is @$50.00 each way.

Ric

5. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    What if you put a separate phantom power unit from the DPA going into the headway? Will that send a stronger signal to the preamp so you won't have to crank that channel? Then maybe keep the levels lower so the full circle won't be so hot?

I only currently own the DPA as of now and am in the process of upgrading my bassmax. I'd like to have a piezo to go to the monitors or amp and run the DPA FOH. Any other suggestions on what you guys use in this situation?

6. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Neddy Row

Well, can't think of any reason you couldn't do that. It's worth a shot, especially since that ART Mic Phantom is very inexpensive. However, I think that the problem lies with the Channel 1 Gain Structure being overdriven by the Realist and Full Circles hotter output. Before mine was modified, I could barely get the Channel 1 Volume to 2, because it got so loud so fast. Just my thoughts though. Personally, I always run the DPA 4099 FOH and power it from the board, while the pickup, runs into the Headway EDB-1 or the Ehrlund Pre Amp.

Ric

7. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    Are there other pre-amp that work well with a full circle? Besides a pro platinum? Not a fan of the pro platinum. I do have the K&K preamp. Any one use that combination?

8. Ric Vice

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Neddy Row,
    Well I don't know what you're budget is, but there is the Schertler Yellow Blender. It's expensive, but it has two full channels.

Ric

9. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I saw that yellow blender and was curious about it. I also looked at the basswitch. Any side by side comparisons?

10. neddyrow

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    Checked on the basswitch and i see its for doubling. Hoping to wait for that acoustic image preamp that came out at NAMM. Anybody know when that will be available? Couldn't find anything on their site.