1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Healthy snacks 2.0

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Duh....carrots

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. My shorts, man.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Crow

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. His words

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I think I either started or at least participated in a thread about healthy snacks sometime back. I would like some updated opinions so we'll call this 2.0.

So, I'm on a big healthy eating kick. Of course, this has my metabolism all fired up so I'm hungry a lot. Well, that's annoying. Hungry sucks.

I deploy from an office each day and drive anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours. Then I do a few hours of work and head back. I have a really nice Duluth Trading Co. combination lunchbox/cooler.

I need some packable healthy snack ideas. I'm trying to stay as unprocessed as possible. Bars are cool but as little as possible fillers and chemicals. I'm not going extreme with that part but I do want to be aware and avoid as much as realistically possible.

Low"ish" carbs. Not avoiding carbs altogether but would prefer not to have a ton of sugar/carbs/sweeteners.

I have been taking my own homemade trail mix made from peanuts, cashews, pecans, almonds and yogurt covered raisins. Bananas and apples. Found one kind of bar that is mostly natural made from Chia, lemon and plant proteins. But I'm getting bored with my selections.

Please help. My taste buds are bored!

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Believe me - you'll only need one.

Healthy, tasty and well... you know :D

IMG_0679.JPG

3. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    You're on the right track with the trail mix. Nuts are good - protein and fiber. Fiber is the key to not being hungry all the time.

two fingers likes this.
  4. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Love cherry tomatoes. Could eat them like M&M's. Easy to transport. No mess.

47th Street, two fingers and MJ5150 like this.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Totally my suggestion as well. Great one.
    Something a little messier, but well worth it to me, grapefruit wedges with cayenne sprinkled on top.

-Mike

two fingers likes this.
  6. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I tend to eat carrots the most out of what we commonly call vegetables--but then I get sick of them and don't eat them for a while.
    Rasp/straw/blue/blackberries are better

47th Street and two fingers like this.
  7. Whippet

Whippet

Aug 30, 2014
    You need to take in protein every single time you eat. It's what staves off the hunger. That's the key. There is no quick easy solution like eat a carrot, eat an apple. It has to be a combination of different things and I believe this guy gets it right.

The costliest part is the protein. I recommend BSN Syntha 6. Tastes fine, not expensive and many people including myself have seen results.

This stuff is a lot and I mean A LOT cheaper to make at home than buying single packs. Needless to say you just change the ingredients to alter the taste a little. Add dried apple, cranberry, etc etc etc.

two fingers likes this.
  8. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    Trail mix is great, just be aware of the extremely high calorie content of nuts, you don't need more than a handful.

Hoummos, yogourt, and some sliced vegetables to dip is nice, makes a great light meal.

two fingers likes this.
  9. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Bulk granola and greek yogurt. Add erythritol (plant-based sugar alcohol) or honey for flavoring. I love that stuff! Makes a quick breakfast or snack.

two fingers likes this.
  10. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Interesting. I like spicy. I will give this a shot.

11. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Subbing my own thread doesn't seem to be working right now.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Raw unsalted almonds are great.

two fingers likes this.
  13. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Homemade trail mix with fresh nuts bought from the store is good. Honestly though, the best way to cut hunger cravings is to increase water and veggies in your diet. The fiber fills you up without adding a lot of empty calories, and a lot of people think they're hungry when they're really just beginning to get dehydrated.

two fingers and MJ5150 like this.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Emotional eating too is a biggie. I struggled with that for years.

-Mike

twinjet and two fingers like this.
  15. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Carrots are good. So are celery sticks with either peanut butter or pimento cheese.

two fingers likes this.
  16. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. They go in my trail mix and my smoothies at breakfast. Thanks.

17. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah I need to give celery another try. It tastes like grass clippings smell but with some peanut butter or some other dip (hummus maybe) it should work.

18. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Me too! Then there's my monstrous night-time sweet tooth. I could pound lots of bad stuff at 9:00p.m. cakes, muffins, and other baked goods as well as ice cream were the worst culprits.

twinjet likes this.
  19. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yeah, I forgot about hummus. That would be good. I don't like celery alone, either. It has no calories and 0 food value, but you do burn some calories chewing it.

two fingers likes this.
  20. two fingers

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. Pounding water. In fact, other than a (much smaller these days) morning coffee it's all I drink and lots of it.

Which veggies Don you suggest that would be portable (either in the cooler section or the room temp section) of my lunch box and have lots of fiber?

I even though about making some sort of black bean dip and dipping carrots or something else in that for fiber.

I've been doing lots of black or kidney beans on salads at night for fiber as well. But the idea of a cold bowl of beans isn't very appetizing.

These offices I travel to every day aren't my office. There are a few places I have a good enough relationship with that I could waltz into their break room and take over the microwave, but not many.