Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

***? Heaphone output on Bassman 25 doesn't disable speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Jan 27, 2005.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Question for any onwers of Fender Bassman 25s:

I just got a brand new one in the mail today, primarily so I can play bass upstairs when my toddler is sleeping. I plugged in the headphones and turned it on, and while sound came through the headphones, it also still came out of the internal speaker!!! The only way I could get the internal speaker to shut off was to plug in a cable into the external speaker jack. :confused:

Is this normal? Did I get a faulty unit? According to the manual, the headphone jack should disable the speaker. I wonder what the effects of having an unconnected cable plugged into the external speaker jack are. :confused:

2. BartmanPDX

Will it ruin/damage my amp to leave an unconnected cable plugged into the External speaker jack so I can listen through the headphones without having the internal speaker on? I don't know if the unit was designed not to have a speaker load while the headphones are plugged in.

It seems odd to me to have a headphone jack that doesn't cut the internal speaker. :eyebrow: The "mute" switch cuts off everything but the tuner out, which includes cutting off the headphone output.

I'm frustrated. I bought this combo unit instead of a bassman specifically so I could play through the headphones and not wake my kid up. The owner's manual says that once you plug in headphones "Speaker outputs are automatically disabled for privacy." What's up with that? Now I'm starting to wish I'd just gotten the bassman instead. :spit: :mad:

3. BartmanPDX

One more thing . . . there's ZERO help from Fender on this issue. There's NO troubleshooting section in the manual, NO instructions on what to do about service, NO help/support on their website, NO way to get in touch with them.

I don't even know if plugging heaphones into the headphone jack is supposed to turn off the internal speaker or not. The only help I've been able to get is a schematic diagram of the unit which is on the Mr. Gearhead site, click on "Fender" (left side), then "amplifier schematics" (near top), then "Bassman 25.pdf": (first bass amp listed):
    Mr. Gearhead

Unfortunately, I can't read schematics. Can anyone help? I AM SO ANGRY AT FENDER RIGHT NOW!!!!

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I think you've just answered your own question, but you could call Fender customer service and confirm that.

Here's the page.

The only other thing I can think of is that some jacks just don't like some plugs, but that's a long shot.

Good luck!

5. jazz567

jazz567

Nov 23, 2004
    Mine shuts off the speaker when I plug headphones in. Are you using a stereo headphone jack?

6. BartmanPDX

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I am using stereo headphones. Manual says "Speaker outputs are automatically disabled for privacy" for mono or stereo headphones.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    you have a defective amp

someone didnt wire the jack right

don't plug another cable into the extension speaker jack that goes nowhere - too easy to accidentally short out the amp that way.

get it fixed/replaced

8. BartmanPDX

Thanks for the help, folks!

I called Musician's Friend and they are going to take it back and replace it, AND pay the shipping. I'm glad they have good customer service. :)

I'm less impressed with Fender. This is my first Fender product, and while I'm sure it's a relatively uncommon incident, the lack of customer service phone numbers, and the dearth of helpful info on the website on the part of Fender has helped cement my desire to get a Jazz bass from Lakland or Sadowsky instead of an MIA Fender Jazz. :rollno:

9. BartmanPDX

One last post and we can probably close this thread.

I will say this about the Bassman 25, it has a terrific sound, and I'm sorry to have to wait to have it replaced. For $149 at Musician's Friend, it was a great deal, too, though I sure wish it didn't have the broken headphone jack.

10. kiwishred

kiwishred

Jan 23, 2005
    BartmanPDX - Did you get the headphone jack problem fixed ?

Wondering how much hiss/hum/buzz there is when listening through the headphones on Bassman 25 ? Asking because the headphone output on the combo unit I currently have (Beringer BX300) has an annoying buzz, even with the volume all the way down.

Thanks,
    Brent