1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heaphone repair

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thetawaves, May 11, 2010.

1. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Hopefully found the correct section for this, apologies elsewise.

Just been fruitlessly trying to solder a new jack plug onto a pair of headphones (old one was pulled off when my laptop fell off my desk). In each wire going to the separate speakers (left/right) is a red (right)/green (left) enamel-coated multicore for the speaker inputs and a plain copper multicore as a shared ground. The problem I have is the melting point of the solder I have access to (university labs) is about 370°, which means the coating on the speaker input is burning off by the looks (and smell) of it.

I've repeatedly tried this repair with one or both inputs grounding out, or taking input from the other channel because of contact.

Any suggestions as to circumventing this here issue of mine? Any help would be greatly appreciated :hyper:

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    One solution: buy some lower-temp solder. It's cheap.
    Another: split the red and green wires apart for a couple of inches. Make sure the one you are soldering is bent well away from the one you are not soldering. If bending them different directions is not feasible, then just slide a wooden ruler or similar object between them in the split-apart area.

3. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Cheers man, shall give the latter a try.

4. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    In case anyone else has this problem, another suggestion one of the lab assistants came up with was to find a metal clamp and affix it to the wire just below the point you're soldering. It acts as a heat sink so will stop you damaging components, or in this case: the wire insulation. Worked fine for me :D

5. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    Buy a roll of solder that has lower melting point. Really, it´s not that expensive... You´ll need it later, too, for fixing your cables etc...

Also, are your soldering "chops" up to the task? Pre-tinning the contacts and the wires makes the task go much easier. You´re not supposed to heat the parts first, and apply tin when they´re melting hot...

Heat-shrink tubing over the solder-points makes the cables less prone to oxidising, and helps make the contacts last longer.