Hear about Bali??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by merlin, Oct 13, 2002.

1. Hmmm Bali.... terrible. Just when the world thought terrorism was slowly fading.. it gets re-ignited... good one.

Many of the victims were australians, a fair few from my home state.

2. yeah this sort of thing is a real downer to Australia. I have serious doubt in the current actions and abilities of John Howard.
    Its hard to describe what an attack like this makes you feel.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    What happened? Where I am right now happens to be pretty much right in the middle of the sniper shootings in Maryland, so not much else is on the news....

What happened? Who/what is Bali, or John Howard for that matter?
  4. Not good.

Whoever this was an attack on, and whoever by, it's only going to make everything worse.

:mad: :eek: :(
  5. Yes it sucks really. This will start utter panic again amongst travellers, especially near christmas time etc.

6. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I guess no-one has heard about happenings in Helsinki last friday night.

Apparently, some chemics student freaked out, grabbed a nailbomb and ran to crowd with little children in it at Myyrmanni shopping mall during the busiest hours. Six people died instantly, atleast two of them little children, and over 60 people got hurt, some people are still in coma.

It was a suicide bombing in the true meaning of the word; I guess he decided to commit a suicide but not leave alone.
  7. Actually did hear about the Indoesia bombing, on the radio at work. Very sad. Also sad about the bombing in Helsinki. When will people learn that violence and fear don't work?

Rock on
  8. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Hopefully it will take all the attention off the decision to go into the middle east with the US.
    Aparently a mother lost her 2 daughters in there and she had to walk over dead bodies and body parts so she could find her...that to me is just wrong..

Oh, John Howard is the Australia Prime Minister...
  9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Actually in this case, the terrorists might well have achieved their exact aim. The BBC News last night was speculating that the most likely perpetrators were Indonesian fundamentalists who are anti-western and don't like the idea of westerners coming to their islands for holidays and taking them over.

With campaigns like this - tourism will be certainly be affected and already people are being advised not to go to Bali for holidays. :(
  10. Bruce Lindfield

On the last point about tourism - there is a radio-phone-in on national radio here. One woman said that she had been on holiday to Bali recently and saw that there was a lot of building work going on.

She said that she asked about this and was told it was more holiday complexes and that the new developments would force a lot of the local population to leave the island as their homes were being knocked down to make space for these.

Of course nobody is saying that what the bombers did was right in any way - but this does throw some light on the situation?
  11. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The Indonesian Fundamentalists are most likely (according to all reports) the JI group (cant remember the exact words but its something like Jalema Isalmic) - which are a group campaigning for a Mulsim state in South-East Asia.

Bearing that in mind it seems more likely that it was an attack on westerners (obvious tourist location), but was unlikely to have been motivated by erradicating tourism to Indonesia.

There has been a lot of Australian media commenting that it was "definately an attack on Australia". Personally I think this is overstating the case but who knows!

12. Bruce Lindfield

Well I think the likely motivation is eradicating "western infuence" - which would include tourism.

The only reason that bars,discos,clubs etc are built rather than housing for the local population, is to satisfy tourism. I don't think you can disentangle tourism from the general dissatisfaction with "westernisation".
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Whatever the motivation behind the bombing, it is a waste of life and im not going to argue semantics with you.

I was merely pointing out what has been reported almost non-stop in Australia today. Maybe the media is right, maybe they are wrong, I guess we won't know until a full investigation has been conducted. Im not sure what the UK media have been reporting during that time (presumably your night).

Until that time I dare say that speculation among ourselves (clearly not fully informed opinions at that) doesn't add much to the debate.
  14. Dont let me near the red button... For god sakes dont let me near that button.
  15. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    mindless acts of stupidity, i used to be passive on the subject of war till that happened. now i feel like i have to join up but im too young just yet.

anyone know where i can vote with a bullet....

...its a pity that toad with eyebrows took away our guns...

16. Thats all well and good but in these sort of attacks there is no one to retaliate against.
    This will be extremely damaging to bali for years and years to come.
    I hope we can find out more about motives and such soon.
  17. I agree with that.
  18. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    theres no one to retaliate against because the bomber will be dead already but the people who helped organise, motivate and train these sadly brainwashed souls need to pay.

the people who are behind this are even more cowardly than the actual bombers, and by christian religion isnt suicide a mortal sin and you go straight to hell, do not pass go and no $200.

19. Yep it's sad..

Even tho sometimes you can understand what they are fighting against / for, and can understand that they are angry because of it; Using violence to fight for your cause, even if it is a good cause, is never good.. there are other ways, BETTER ways, of expressing your dissagreement with something..

sad :(