Hear my MIM P Bass with Duncan Steve Harris pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NitroBass, Aug 15, 2018.

1. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    This is a 2017 MIM standard P bass. It feels and plays great and I use it all the time for recording, rehearsal, you name it. I recently replaced the pickups with Seymour Duncan spb-4 Steve Harris signature pickups; not because I needed to, but I generally prefer the sound of alnico pickups, and spb-4 is a nice blend of vintage and modern sounds. I used it on this song, take a listen: Out of Love by The Reverse Engineers

My other P is a Fender '63 AVRI, and I think these pickups give me a similar vibe, with slightly more aggressive upper mid bark. The rest of the bass is stock, I left the wiring as is for now. DZeRuL-W4AAKWJ2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  2. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Forgot to mention that my other 2 basses are more expensive MIA Fenders, but this one gets more playing time. Something about it just seems comfortable and low maintenance.

3. I liked the sound. Nice and full with a little growl. You play with a pick?

4. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks for listening! Nope, I just use my fingers. I'm not very versed with a pick, and not much of a slapper either. To get the picking attack, I play fairly hard with my fingers, and split the signal, one to a bass amp, and the other to a distortion pedal, then I mix them together.

basscapes and JGbassman like this.
  5. I’ve been on a quest trying to find the perfect P bass tone, which I’ve got close to, but not quite there. I’m always trying different pickups, strings etc. this is a good representation of a tone I’ve been going for lately. I just can’t get the top end without it getting too trebly or bitey.

bmac314 and NitroBass like this.
  6. Bass Man Dan

Bass Man Dan Endorsing Artist: Ned Flanders' Bass-a-Reeno

Oct 20, 2017
    Cincinnati
    Very Geddy-esque tone. Which is obviously good.

7. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks for listening, and for the compliment!

Kenova and Bass Man Dan like this.
  8. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Sounds good. :thumbsup: I’ve been wanting to try a SPB-4, but I’m happy with the pickups I have in my P-Basses.

NitroBass and Bass Man Dan like this.
  9. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    Like the tone and the tune. :thumbsup:

10cc, NitroBass and Bass Man Dan like this.
  10. cholyoke

cholyoke Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Rubber City
    Nice tone. I have a set of those in one of my basses and really like the sound.

NitroBass likes this.
  11. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Like it. Sounds good. Cool band name, too. :thumbsup:

Do I hear a little Furs influence in Out Of Love?

saabfender and NitroBass like this.
  12. Aqualung60

Aqualung60

Jun 19, 2013
    New Jersey
    Sounds great, both the pick up and the song.

NitroBass likes this.
  13. jmon

jmon

Jan 27, 2002
    Jax Fl.
    I dig it! Like the tone and song. Even sounds good using my iPhone speaker to my ear. PBass is hard to beat as always. Prob why I have 3. :thumbsup:

NitroBass and Kenova like this.
  14. Kyuuga

Kyuuga

Jan 5, 2018
    Portugal
    Great tone and bassline man! Love the looks of your P-Bass as well. Never knew these pickups would sound so good, always thought they'd have that Steve Harris clank that I kinda hate on a Precision (mine doesn't have it though).

Song is pretty good as well, definitely catchy.

NitroBass likes this.
  15. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks for listening, and for all the awesome feedback guys, I really appreciate it! I will let my bandmates know you like it. I am embarrassed to say I don't know who the Furs are but I will check them out. I agree that P bass is hard to beat when it comes to sitting in the mix. There is a low mid tone that just works. I also play jazz basses, but P basses just seem to work without much fuss. When I read about the pickups on the Duncan site, I thought the spec matched what I was looking for. I guess Steve Harris likes a more traditional P bass pickup than people might assume... It is clear and punchy, but very pleasing, and very musical. The spb-4 bring out the woody tone of the bass IMO. To me the response is a little more even across the spectrum than the stock pups, which were decent but a little dull.

16. basshawk21

basshawk21 Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    I like that a lot. Both the tone and the song. Cool bass line.

NitroBass likes this.
  17. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Ahhh...wait a minute. Your the guy who posted an awesome song with an awesome J bass tone too. Now I want a P bass damn you!! It sounds fantastic, but I prefer you J tone a little more.:thumbsup:

NitroBass likes this.
  18. mikewalker

mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Nice sounds! I like the mixing job, too :thumbsup:

NitroBass likes this.
  19. faulknersj

faulknersj Inactive

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Good stuff....check this out ya'll

NitroBass likes this.
  20. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cool song ! Bass sounds great ! What’s pedal and amp you used for the tone ?
    I get hints of Geddy in the tone and of Steve Harris obviously has a similar low mid thing

NitroBass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 20, 2022