Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hear my new EMO song!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by *ToNeS*, Nov 6, 2005.

1. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Hello everybody! So my band is sitting around shooting the breeze as usual, and we suddenly decide that emo is the new black, and thus the only way to succeed. So we leave all jazzcore aspirations at the door and discover the joys of 4/4 and E Minor (exclusively). Here is the result of our trespass. Please, enjoy, have a cry, hug your livejournal. I know I did. Now if you'll excuse me I have eyeliner to apply.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=430994

P.S. Yes, that is myself on bass and lead vocals. Do you know how hard it is to pitch when putting on that whiny American teenager voice? I don't know how they do it. Respect. Hahaha.

2. Musically, I like it(the start at least). But the singing?, come on, that accent is horrible!

3. not bad...i could expect to hear it on MTV in the next month...

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If this song wasn't meant to be a joke, I'd review it.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Wow, better than most of the bands that play emo music seriously.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Heh cheers to that

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Incredible.

8. alapantera

alapantera

Mar 22, 2004
    Wisconsin
    man that is the longest EMO song i've hever heard... granted i never made it through a whole one before. :bawl:

9. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Haha, it's great that most people are getting the joke (except for that New Zealand guy). A mate said to me after hearing it - "This is exactly what it sounds like when crazy musicians like you guys use your powers for evil." I thought that was classic! I'm planning to shop it around to some local stations and see just what people make of it.

We got joking about it the other night and we were envisioning the bunch of us in five years time, sitting on a tour bus with pink spikey hair and mascara and the whole bit, just shaking our heads at ourselves and everybody.

But not to worry. We tend to do this kind of thing to take a bit of pressure off the stuff we actually write seriously. There's only so many compound polyrhythmic sections a band can drill before they need a fix of EMO?! to unwind.

10. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    My brother and I made one of these once. We made over the top emo lyrics and everything. We named our little band "Three Tears and a Razorblade" and recorded a few songs for our album "My Sorrowful Sorrow". Maybe I'll find a way to post them.

11. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Haha, thats pretty funny, the drums sound pretty good! how did you record them? or whoever recorded them..

12. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    That's fantastic, I love a good emo parody. Put it up on Soundclick.com. Don't forget to apply lacrimal fluid liberally.

For all the recording buffs out there - we work in Logic because it took us forever to learn and damn it, it's way easier to get around than any of the other stuff on our Mac. The bass runs direct through this crazy Tascam pre that magically appeared one day, guitars are mic'ed up and overdubbed to hell, as is the kit (minus dubs, of course). Our studio is fairly bare-bones but I think we can get some sweet sounds out of it without too much fancy gear if we put the work in. We like 'raw', as opposed to 'Pro Tools'.

13. You're right... that's awfully emo... to the point that I felt my genitals shrivel up, fall off, and dissipate.

Seriously.

That has to be a joke.

The back row?

Wow.

Just...

Wow.

Broken glass heart?

Ugh.

14. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    oh, man, i was laughing all the way through it.

good work. :D

15. MY BROKEN HEART! MY HEART OF GLASS!

muahahaha....

You know, for emo, this isn't bad. You guys certainly pull it off well enough. I agree with alapantera though. Longest. Emo Song. Ever.

16. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    sorry for the question, but what is EMO? I have seen it in magazines and such but have no idea what it is. Thanks!

17. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    How can you be so cruel? :bawl: I'm cutting right now. :bawl: :bawl: Real men hug. :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

JJBACOOMBA, living under a rock, you are. Switch on MTV or the equivalent ridiculous "music" show in your area. Wait for the whine, the power chord progressions, the complete overuse of the flat 6th, the checkered shoes...

18. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    LOL!! Thanks ToNeS!! I'll have to check that out. Your song is cool, I like it. Reminds me of the new wave stuff from the 80's. What does EMO stand for?

19. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Haha, our song is more 'gaymo' than 'emo'. I rather think that the term 'emo' is short for 'emotional'; you know, 'coz everyone is just feelin' tha sorrow! If you want a laugh, listen to an emo band called 'My Chemical Romance'. Honestly, they crack me up. That song 'I'm Not Okay (I Promise)' is priceless (gotta have brackets, always brackets!).

20. MCT

MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    THIS IS MY NEW FAVORITE SONG!!!!! Dude "Your boyfriend's cheating on you with me" IS GENIOUS!!!!!

You guys could go places with this stuff. Think P.U.S.A.