1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hear my USA Geddy Jazz with a (gasp) low mass bridge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NitroBass, Jul 27, 2018.

1. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Hi everybody,

Listen to how my USA Geddy Jazz sounds with a 70's style Fender low mass bridge. I used it on this song: Atomic Kid by The Reverse Engineers

I admit I agonized over taking off the high mass bridge. I felt like I needed more articulation and a more vintage tone, so I took the plunge and removed the bridge. I have had many high and low mass bridges on jazz basses over the years. This bass is built like a tank, and I felt like was getting almost too much sustain. Anyway, let me know what you think of the sound. I'm liking it! Here's a pic as well...

DY1JkpDWsAEwyZg.jpg-large.jpeg

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    It sounds great. Do what works for you, man.

Pbassmanca and NitroBass like this.
  3. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    That sounded great! Nice work. Are you playing with your brothers? That’s even cooler.

NitroBass likes this.
  4. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Sounds like Geddy's playing the bass! What did you use in your signal chain? Dig tbe tone. My jazz doesnt sound like that.

5. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks guys! Yep, playing in a band with my brothers, and I have a solo project.

I was really careful when I took off the bridge, and luckily no paint got removed.

byoung93888 likes this.
  6. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Wow, thanks :) I split the signal, send one side to an Ampeg amp for the lows, and send the other to a distortion pedal. I record both channels, and blend them when mixing. I glue them together in the mix with some light compression and eq, boosting a bit at 1.5k and 100 hz.

byoung93888 likes this.
  7. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Also worth mentioning that I mainly play over the neck pickup, or just behind it. The rest of the bass is stock, so no electronics changes. Just my personal opinion, but I think many people decide on high mass bridges when it is not needed. Some basses definitely benefit from a high mass bridge, but I prefer to evaluate each instrument as needed.

Pbassmanca and byoung93888 like this.
  8. G19Tony

G19Tony

Apr 27, 2018
    Las Vegas, NV
    I don’t know what you just said, but whatever it was, keep doing it. :woot:

9. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Cool song. Thanks for the share.

The bass sounds good, but I'm really not buying into that much of it being due to the bridge swap.

10. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    If you just posted the track without a description, I would have said “low mass bridge” right away.

Nice job btw.

G19Tony and NitroBass like this.
  11. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks for listening, and for the kind words about the song. All this is subjective, but there was a definite difference in sound for me going with the low mass bridge. More articulation (at least for how I play), and more of a beneficial mid range bump. It's subtle, but the bass feels better to my right hand now. Granted, there are many factors that affect the sound and they all matter, so this is just one piece of the puzzle.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  12. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Just thought I would mention; for anyone thinking of swapping out their bridge or experimenting with different bridges; I usually try to keep using the screws that came the first bridge that was originally installed on the bass. Most bridges will work with the original screws. This way, you keep from wearing out the screw holes too much and you get a good fit in case you want to revert to the original bridge.

PWRL and Pbassmanca like this.
  13. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    The USA Geddy is great for hard hitting, grinding rock bass. Not as good for the subtle jazzy type stuff. Getting gas for a jazz bass with a nice unfinished rosewood board with dots. Sigh... can't own too many basses.

14. JIO

JIO shaken - not stirred Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Cool songs - nice playing! :thumbsup::bassist:

Low mass, high mass - it's all very subjective at a certain point. A lot of players respond to the look difference and accept the 'consensus' that it does this and that better whether they hear it or not. It's all good as long as it makes that player happy. :)

15. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks for listening, and thanks for the kind words! :D

I agree, this is all very subjective. For me, on this bass, the low mass bridge allows my hands to be less busy muting strings that are ringing out too much between notes (because of the huge amount of sustain from the thick neck and high bass bridge). There is still plenty of sustain, but I feel like my playing is more articulate. It also makes the bass sound "woodier" to my ears, and more present in the mid range. I don't slap much, so slappers may have totally different requirements. Granted... that custom Geddy bridge certainly looked cool though!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Cool track!

Really nice bass work and tone!

NitroBass likes this.
  17. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Colorado
    Nice, loved your sound. Dig the split signal with the lows going through the amp and the separate split for distortion

Also, I know what you mean on the high mass bridges. I honestly don't see them as a great benefit in many cases, I think they are a bit over-hyped. I have a MIJ P Bass that came years ago with an aftermarket BAII bridge.. I replaced it with a Hipshot Type A and couldn't be happier with that move. Absolutely no downside IMO, and the Hipshot allowed for slightly lower action.

I know the Hipshot isn't a standard vintage style bridge, but I'd take either of those styles over a BAII. I have never had any issues with the vintage style bridges, really.

NitroBass likes this.
  18. NitroBass

NitroBass

Feb 19, 2014
    Thanks for listening, and thanks for the compliment!

Cool, thanks for listening! I have not tried the Hipshot, but I will have to check it out. The times where a high mass bridge worked for me were when a bass was just sort of dull... and needed a bit of a reboot so to speak; if it had dead spots, or if the tone was lacking. Sometimes going with a high mass bridge can shake things up. But ultimately, I end up moving on to something else.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021