Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hear The Eminence EUB, On line now!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Mike Carr, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    With all the interest in EUB's lately and lots of interest in the Eminence Bass in particular, I thought some of you might like a chance to hear one. Please, I don't want this post to serve as a plug for the CD, nor do I want to use this forum for any sort of career or ego boost for myself. If anything, I do hope that this functions as a bit of a plug for Gary Bartig, the maker of the Eminence and for (all hail) Bob Golliher, who sold me my Eminence and whom I and many others on this board hold in high regard. Now, enough of the disclaimer, here's what it is.
    Go to www.cdbaby.com and preform a search for BOBBY WEST.
    There you will find some info for his new CD called "Hip Profhecy"
    I played the Eminence bass on all of the 13 tracks on this album, except for track#9, on which I played the "slab". On the remaining 12 other tunes all of the bass is my Eminence Removable Neck EUB! We recorded this project at a very nice Pro Tools equipped studio in Jakarta, Indonesia while I was on a long term gig in Jakarta as a member of the same trio that is featured on this recording. Since the Eminence is my traveling bass this was the only Double Bass Type instrument was available me for this recording date. I was very, very pleased with how well this bass worked out, both live, nightly on my gig there, and in the recording studio!
    So here's an opportunity for any of you that might be interested in hearing the Eminence played in a jazz trio context and in the hands of a (more or less) skilled player....well the bass sounds good, nevertheless!
    Please, you don't have to buy the CD, that's not why I'm posting this info, but please do check out the Eminence Bass! You can hear about two minutes of each track on the CD thru the CDBaby.com site.
    Thanks, hope this post isn't taken as inappropiate, it's all about the bass, you dig?

2. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    At the bitrate provided @ CD Baby it would almost be impossible to tell the Eminence from the real thing. It sounds a bit electricish in the song "Easy to Love" and one or two the others. Any EUB loses the overtones/nuances/individuality of an electric but that one is damn close. Sounds great!

3. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Thanks flyman!
    Yes, the bass sounds different track to track.
    There were several different studio pre-amps used, Avalon, LA Classics and sometimes a Focusright, which I thought sounded the best. Some of the tracks have just a little bit of mic on the bass too, placed high, near the middle of the neck, to try to get some air and "stringyness" in the sound, but we wound up mixing that back a lot, it's mostly the bass's standard pickup you hear most of the time, direct. The mixes vary from tune to tune as well.
    Your right, CDBaby squashes everything down to an MP3 format, but at least people can get an idea of what the bass sounds like, sounds better listening to the real CD, of course!
    The bass was stung up with Spirocore Weichs.

4. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Stupid me. Once I clicked on the "listen in broadband" button it sounds much better. Track 3 sounds really woody but the low end boom is a bit much, I think it would be much improved with some of the low lows (subs) rolled off a bit; track 13 also very boomy but without the woody sound. I am still impressed with the sound.

az

P.S. - I am glad there was only on song with a "slab" as I felt the tone captured was sub optimal, could just be the mp3.

5. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Flyman, sounds like you have really listened hard to this thing!
    Yea, tracks 3 and thirteen are a bit wierd, mix-wise. Both tracks have got some low end stuff from a percusion overdub, it's a great big Indonesian drum, not a conga but similar to a cross between a conga and a bass drum that we were experimenting with, world music, you dig! Anyway, those frequencys are down where the bass lives, so it got a bit crowded, down there. Track 13 is the bass, thru an Avalon tube pre, and the settings are indeed too heavy in the sub bass regions, I was using a small amp too for that tune and a few others, mainly for monitering, because the headphone sound was a drag. A lot of that leaked into the drum and piano tracks. All this stuff was done live, in real time so there is some leakage, the only overdubs are a few keyboard things and the conga and hand percusion parts.
    Was really wild recording in Jakarta, because of the language barrier. But studio time is dirt-cheap there, due the country's ecomomic situation.
    To tell you the truth, the best sound I got there using the Eminence was on another project, for a different artist who's stuff is not available to the public yet. This was achived by simply running the Eminence into the buffered channel of my Raven Labs PBM-2, set flat, then out that, straight in the Pro-Tools. That really sounds like a double bass!

6. billhw13

billhw13 Supporting Member

May 10, 2002
    Clinton, NJ
    Sounds great!
    Listening to track 2 right now...Love the tone. I recently picked up the Eminence from Bob - I'm new to DB but loving it!

So, you recorded mostly direct using the stock realist pickup? I've been wondering how the eminence will sound recorded - I plan on using it on a project next month and was wondering how I should record it..and I think you answered that for me!

7. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    J Abercrombie quartet performed at Coutances (France) last may, featuring Marc Johnson on an Eminence. You can check some photos of that concert here.

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Nice sound. Nice variety from the different ways you recorded it. I think it'd probably be a nice bass to get to fill the niche between BG w/flats, and DB. That's all

9. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Thanks Cam!
    One of the sad realities I have had to face is that many of the venues (hotels, with bars that feature jazz) that I play in overseas want quality jazz, but are not too keen when it comes to finding the money to pay for it. American musicians demand (and deserve) salaries that are much higher than local musicians will charge.
    Once one comes to terms with an employer regarding pay, there then is the issue of airfare expence, visa fees and the costs of feeding and housing a band. Most venues provide decent bass amps, drum kits and have good PA systems in house. But not any sort of bass that anyone would want to play if they had a choice. The hotel that I recently worked at in Jakarta has a craptastic plywood Korean bass, that's missing it's sound post and had some sort of "El Cheapo" contact mic that was affixed to the front of the bass with electrical tape. It is currently being played nightly by a guy in a 6 piece group from Manila that plays in the hotel lobby, who probably makes less in a month, than I make in a week there. He's a fine player, who could certainly cut it in any number of musical situations. I felt sorry for him, trying to pull a sound out of that instrument. So I sold him one of my spare KK Bass Max's (at a low,low price), that I keep in my bag for emergencys. I wanted to make him a sound post but I had no idea how to go about that in the right way, much less installing it. Well I did all I could for the cat, I just hope the bass dosn't impload on him in the middle of his gig some night.
    Sorry to get off track, but here is why I play an Eminence Bass on the road.
    A Fender Bass flies for free. A Double Bass does not. My employers don't want to pay the extra expense to fly my bass in with me. But an Eminence Bass flies for free! Aircargo is very expensive, they charge by volume weight for a Double Bass Fight Case, not actual weight. An Anvil Flight Case now sits unused in my back room at home, at this point I store my favorite Double Bass in it while I'm on the road with my Eminence. Since my home is in Southern CA maybe the Anvil will offer some protection for the bass, in case of an earthquake happens when I'm gone!
    That's why I play an EUB, that's the only reason I own one. I happen to like mine very much, because It's great for what it is.

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Mike-i totally agree with you. If i had the money [i'm 18] to buy an Eminence EUB-i would. The sheer size and portability of it make is very attractice and since it's sound is very similar if not better in some ways than the amped tone of certain basses i've played-i wouldn't have a problem with them. I tend to be an advocate of doing whatever it is that needs to be done in order to get the job done. :) I wish i had a regular gig though-currently since i'm in high school, i play for all of our school bands [anything from marching band to musical pits to jazz combos and show choirs] so i'm hoping that prepares me for what is ahead.

That's all and keep groovin.

11. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    The bass (and you and the rest of the band) sound great.

12. I dig, I like the bass, sounds great, I was just getting into that bass solo on one of the tracks but the 2 minutes was up. Nice playin' Mike. That piano guy was pretty good too !
    And Yeah . . I bought the CD ! :cool: