Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heard a Yorkville (XM200) live for the first time, WOW!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MMStingRay, Nov 16, 2004.

1. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    Some of you know I'm insearch of a (2nd) new amp. Not just any amp, "the amp".

Went to a club and the bass player was playing though a Yorkville XM200 (115 combo) and WOW! It was a small club (50 people) and a 4 peice band, he said the volume was at 2. He had GREAT tone and vary clear mids cutting though. I couldn't believe it was a 200w combo (less watts w/o the extra cabinet. :hyper:

What's the word on Yorkville combo's, Do they all sound that great?
    And what's the XM200T (210) sound like?

I play rock and have always hated combo's and always believed I needed 400+ watts to get a good sound. Now I'm re-thinking that veiw point! Maybe the 210 combo with the 115 under it could work nicely?

(Yah, I did do a search already!)

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Interesting.

I own a BM200 (1x15 predecessor to the XM200) and, unless they've re-engineered the innards drastically, I personally would have a hard time being impressed.

Try as I might, I have trouble getting decent tone out of that combo either in a multitude of rehearsal or gig situations. It's either too thin at lower volumes or too boomy at higher volumes. I play blues rock in a 4-peice with two guitarists and a loud drummer and the BM200 just didn't cut it. After rehearsing with a spare tracel elliot 4x10 + head rig, I ended up going out and setting myself up with a similar SWR rig.

I ran a SansAmp BDDI for a while with it and it helped curtail the boominess at higher volumes, but I still did not like the sound compared to my SM400 hooked up to my "vintage Peavey-like" ESR 1x15 cab.

For one gig, I ran a 2x10 ext cab with the BM200 and that sounded louder, but not really all that much better.

But that's just me.... :rolleyes:

DD

Oh, and I play a Stingray too. I recently missed out on a deal to trade the BM200 up to an SWR Basic Black and I'm kicking myself. If I ever have an opportunity to do that again, I'm jumping on it immediately - that SWR pre-amp tone in a much more portable 1x15 combo - how sweet is that????

3. Maybe the 210 combo with the 115 under it could work nicely?

I have this exact rig - and highly recommend it.

5. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    Just say no to the BM200? When did they stop making the BM200? Did the BM200 have the "sweep knob" and the EXcab hookup? I also wonder what's changed for the XM200?

jimfriar, You said "maybe the XM200t & XC115 would work nicely"? You Have the rig, How's it sound, How's the volume level? What kind music, what kinda clubs and how loads the band?

I just what to know what kind of hoops you've made it jump and how it worked for you? The one I heard sounded great as a combo w/o the ex cabinet (it was a 115). The guy playing it said he picked it up new for $375.00.

6. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    You know I have the SWR (workingman) 4004/210/115 and have covered gigs with 600 or 800 people at fairs and it did it well. (would have liked more head room and maybe 2 more 10's for stage clarity) I held it's own verse a drummer and guitar play coming though the PA.

I don't thin that the XM200 even with a ex cab will do that but I though it sounded great and I was thinking XM200 (115) and the ex cab 115 might be a cool rig and 215 would be a change from the 210/115 I now run. I think you get more volume from a 15 the a 210 due to more cone area, but I've always need 210's to get good mid's and clarity. That's why I liked the little 115 combo, it was load and clear with great midrange. Again, it was a club of only 50 people. But from what I was told, the amp was on 2 and had alot of head room to go. It's also working with less the 200w and a single combo.

7. from my experience with yorkville cabs i can say that their 15s produce more mid range than their 10 inch speakers. and the tens produce a lot more low end.

8. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Not 100% sure, but the were discontinued sometime between 2001 and 2003 and were followed up with XM series.

No to the sweep knob, yes to the ext cab connection.

From the manual, it's pretty hard to tell what the differences between the BM200 and the XM200 are aside from cosmetics. The front panel and back panels look identical.

That's why I'm suggesting that IF the innards of the two amps are the same, I'm having a hard time believing that the XM200 "sounds great" (as subjective as that comment is...)

DD

9. Watch the ohms/impedance with Yorkville stuff. I beleive the XS200 has internal speaker/s (1x15 or 2x10) of 4ohms so you'd need to add an additional 4 ohm speaker to get the most from the amp while the XS400 has 8ohm speaker/s so you could hook up a Yorkville 1x15 underneath the XS400 2x10 and get a wonderful loud portable rig. If my current rig goes down I'm going to replace it with that set up

10. I don't find that at all, but I do have the last model speakers. The 2x10 that I have (the one that was reviewed by Bass Player magazine) is a great full range bass cab for my 5 string and when I need a little more volume (and more deep lows) I had the 1x15, usually when I don't have PA support.

11. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I purchased the XM200T (2 x 10) as a practice amp but have used it backline at two large shows (line out to board). I preload it with a Sansamp BDDI. Sounds great and weighs in at under 60 lbs. Retailed for $435, definitely a best buy in my book.

Riis

12. soundwave

soundwave

Oct 2, 2004
    I have an xm200. I find myself using it a lot more than my more powerful & expensive bass rigs.
    Probably the best small amp/combo on the market. Sounds great.
    Michael

13. bass player mag reviewed them? do you know where i can find that article?

14. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I had the BM and now I have the XM and the biggest difference is the contour knob. It is now a knob instead of a switch meaning you can control how much scoop you have in your mids and it really adds some bump to your lows and sizzle to your highs.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I hear no difference between BM and XM series. They now have a DI and a contour knob but otherwise they're exactly the same to me and that's a lot.
    The BM/XM/200/200T are/were great amps at a small price, with incredible projection and a lot of power.

16. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    The HC reviews definetly give preference to the 1x15 combo, instead of the 210. Anyone have any experience side by side, or have the 210? I would be inclined to get the 210, but the reviews are not nearly as good.

17. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    IMHO, both the XM200T and XS400T are sound better than their 15 inch counterparts, especially the 400W cab. Different tuning in the cabs, and the tens are punchier.

18. the 2x10 cab is the same all around right? (i don't see xs400t's around, so i'm planning on getting the head and 2x10 cab seperate)

19. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Wait a little bit. The current XC210 cab isn't ported the same way that the XS400T is, I hear they may change that. I'll pass it along when I know more.

20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

+1.