Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

heard avashai cohen's latest?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by spc, Mar 25, 2005.

1. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Wondering if anyone has listened to Avashai Cohen's newest cd, called "At home". I bought it today since I liked "Colors" so much. Haven;;t made my way through the whole thing yet.

2. Just bought it, and wow... what a great overall musician. The songwriting is beautiful (as always), killer sound and feel too.... I remember the first time I heard him with Chick Corea, I was blown away. Avishai and Matt Garrison are my too main influences right now!!!

Peace,
    Darren

3. His new CD is with a trio, with a few tracks adding percussion, sax, and vocals...mainly trio... I think you'll like it...

I do make it out to Park Slope often, so you can always try before you buy!

Peace,
    Darren

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    One of my favorite cd's is an early Kurt Rosenwinkel album with Cohen on it in a trio format called "East Coast Love Affair". I think it's outta print now but you might be able to find it anyway used or what not. I don't think there's so much technical fireworks as he did with Chick Corea's band, but he sounds pretty dang good still.

5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

At Home is the answer. It is mostly trio. He really seems to shine with the trio. Some great tunes on the album.

I really like his acoustic bass playing. The electric stuff drives me nuts.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I saw him play a trio set about a month ago with Sam Barsh on keys (great player, funny dude if you ever get to hang with him) and Marc Guiliana (sp?) on drums. It was a great show, and the energy was fantastic. I also prefer his acoustic playing, but have to admit that the joy he puts into playing the slab really shines through. If you have a chance to catch these guys on tour, don't pass it up!

7. pete27408

pete27408

Feb 22, 2005
    I have to say I'm not as big a fan of his latest two recordings as I am of the ones he put out on Concord. I really liked his writing for larger ensembles especially his use of trombone. That music to me is very tuneful and full of surprises. The last two are good but it doesn't seem like he put as much thought into the compositions.

8. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN

Yeah, I really like his first two solo efforts the best as well. While I do like the latest album he is recycling a few tunes.