1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heard Marcus Miller's tracks on George Benson's new album today...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Sparkdog, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    And all I can say is WOW!

My day job is doing commercial photography and I shoot lots of music related stuff. Today I got a call from West LA Music to come down and shoot at Village Recorders as George Benson and Marcus Miller were laying down tracks for George's new album.

I spent about 4 hours at the studio, shooting mostly candids as George did vocal and guitar overdubs. Unfortunately Marcus never showed up, I guess his tracks were all done and he didn't need to be there for the dubs. I think he's also producing this record.

But I got to hear all 11 tracks through state-of-the art monitors (for those who may not know it, Village Recorders is a world class studio that's done more platinum records than you could count) and man oh man...Marcus just kills it on every track.

Benson is a jazz guitarist of course, and sort of in the "smooth jazz" mold, which has never really been my cup of tea, but the sheer brilliance of the playing just makes all that labeling stuff irrelevant. I got to be in the vocal booth with him while he did some guitar and vocal dubs and it gave me chills...the man is CRAZY talented.

There were funky tunes, some pretty avant garde jazz, a cover of "Sailing" of all things, which was just unbelievably gorgeous, and even a crazy scat/rap sort of thing, which I watched George lay down.

Marcus' tone and textures were just perfection on every track, it was easy to see why he's so in demand.

I'll post some pics once I clear it with my client, but for now I just wanted to share, I was really stoked when I left the studio.

2. I think if ppl thought more along these lines, music could go so much further. Funny how the most universal language is so segregated. ANYWAY, sounds like an experience of a lifetime! Do you have any info on the album (name, due date, etc)? Cant wait for pics! :bassist:

3. Buogon

Buogon

Feb 2, 2009
    New Jersey
    The last time i spoke with Marcus in LA he said that he was going to work with Benson.
    I glad you got the chance to hear the tracks, just hurry up with the pictures.

4. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Hey guys, I will post some pics, but it would not be cool for you to see them before George does :)

There are rules about this sort of thing in my biz and if you break them, you don't get inside anymore!

I don't have details about the release date or anything, but I will probably know next week when I deliver the images. I wouldn't think it's far off, all the foundation tracks are done, now they're just sweetening the mixes, etc.

I'll share one more story here. They were playing back a track called "Hi Def" which has a guitar duet between George and Norman Brown. George said he had an idea he wanted to try for the extended outro of the song. He went into the booth with his guitar and did a vocal/guitar dub. Everyone has heard his scat thing he does with the guitar and voice, it's one of his signature things.

Well...this was WAY outside that. He started doing this rough raspy sort of vocal rap, some of it in really low registers (sounded like Lil Wayne!) and some that was this crazy James Brown sort of screaming, while he doubled every single phrase with guitar chords and runs. They must have recorded 5 solid minutes of that, he never stopped and he never missed a note, he just took it OUT. That was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen a musician do, it was totally spontaneous and inspired by the music he was hearing.

I know one thing, I'm buying that CD!

5. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I was listening this album yesterday with my drummer on the way to gig...Marcus does great job!... he sounds like "Marcus" on some tracks but he sounds very difrent on others. Does somebody knows which instruments he was useing on this album?...has to be 5 string very deep sounding bass with long sustain...

6. midbass

midbass

Jun 10, 2008
    How much would it cost to get MM per hour in the studio?

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Two years ago, George Benson and Al Jareau did a duet CD called "givin it up" which has a killer version of Tutu that really shows a different side of Benson. In his younger days he was considered the next Wes Montgomery but he drifted to the pop side. He certainly has chops, and is a great singer. Miller produced givin it up and played some killer bass on it.

8. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Way the hell more than I have!:bag:

9. midbass

midbass

Jun 10, 2008
    Give me a number....$500/hour?

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    If he had the time, he probably gets at least triple scale and maybe points on the album.