Heard my band on the radio for the first time today!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Justin V, Feb 21, 2006.

1. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I just felt like sharing the utter joy and ego-boost I had today when my band, Laden Swallow, was played on the local "modern rock" radio station's local band spotlight set. We dropped off our CD on Friday and a few fans emailed requests into the station last week. I thought that we would get played, but I didn't expect us to be the first song of the show. It was an awesome feeling. The funny part was when the CD player messed up about half way through the song (my guess is the DJ hit the wrong stop button while cueing up the next song). There were about 5 seconds of dead air before the DJ recovered and read one girl's email over the air and restarted the song. So we kinda got 1.5 plays today.

This was my first time hearing myself on commercial radio. I didn't think it would be this cool. Anybody else have any stories about their first "on-air" moment?
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    congrats man! there are few better feelings than that!

I was in a band that won a KFC music search thing. We got played on the local pop station during non drive time, I caught us being played a half dozen times over a month or 2... but they also used a clip of one of our songs during the traffic reports for a long while [​IMG]
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I wrote and performed a song that became pretty popular and well known in a few local clubs. The Friday night blues DJ on the 100,000 watt station a few towns away liked the tune, and decided to play it even though it's kind of goofy hair metal, like Spinal Tap or maybe Zappa in some ways. I missed it the first time, but the DJ got a call instantly from the main show sponsor when he played it. Ruh-roh! Turns out she loved it and wanted a copy, and he ended up playing it almost every week for a few years. I still get people asking me if I'm the guy who did that song, and it's pretty weird for me since I don't do any other music that's remotely like that.

It felt huge the first time I heard it on the radio while I was out driving around. I was like like "this is kinda cool, what is it?" Then "holy ...." But it was almost more fun hearing the regular morning DJ speculating about the guy who wrote that scary song. :cool:
  4. The first time my country song was played on the radio I was at
    my bowling league. The DJ knew someone who knew me, and he
    tracked me down at the bowling alley. I get paged over the
    intercom, and when I get on the phone he's got me live on the air.
    He asks me a few questions (mini interview) and tells me that he's
    putting me in the "Royal Rumble" (one song against the other, and
    the audience calls in to say who the winner is, and then you're
    on again the next week to take on all comers). I went on to have
    two songs in the Rumble, and they both retired undefeated.
    It was a big ego boost, and fun to beat out George Jones and such.

The first time I "heard" the song on the radio I was at my in-laws.
    Someone called to tell us it was on, and we cranked up the radio
    and I just whooped and jumped. There is no feeling like it.
    It immediately made me think of the scene in "That Thing You Do"
    when they hear their song for the first time.

Congrats on getting air-time. I wish you continued success.
  5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Congratulations. Hope it's the first of thousands more for ya.
  6. txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas

Cherie :hyper: