Heard of 80's Washburn Force-8?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I got offered this bass for $350, so I'm kinda interested. Anyone know anything of these? I personally like 80's basses, but am not sure of the quality.

2. The best judge of this bass's "quality" would be YOU. You've got your hands and eyeballs on it right there. You are an experienced player and equipment buyer. Would you really expect someone here to tell you something that you can't observe or hear for yourself?
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well actually, yes, since I at the moment am few hundred kilometers away from the seller :meh:

Of course I could always fix something up to meet the seller, but if someone notes that "I remember those, kinda lame", I think it wouldn't be worth it. Also, I have a reason to suspect certain notecable things on these basses, and someone who has seen one would probably be able to verify them.

But thank you Hambone for your guidance, however someone on their fourth year as an active member of TB wouldn't be asking this kind of questions should he not really need the info, you know.
  4. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I remember playing one of those a few years back... a rather nasty pale yellow colour it was too! :) But, this was back when Washburn made decent basses - it felt good, sounded good in that typical 80s midrangey way and just had a decent feel of quality you don't get from the marque nowadays.

Russ :bassist:
  5. Anthrax

Oct 1, 2006
    I just picked one up with a big soap bar pickup. Sounds really fat, and looks awesome too
  6. michaelk616

Nov 14, 2008
    I own 3 force 8's.....sounds like a ric. feels like a p-bass ......I love these basses, though they are very hard to come by these days.
  7. rnanney

Aug 15, 2008
    I got one of those B-10s with an active circuit. Been gigging with it for a long time. With my gallien kruger amp and Hartke 2 10x and Peavey 2 15s, this baby kicks A$$. I love it, very thin fast neck.
  8. mid_life_crisis

Jul 8, 2010
    I found one of these in a pawn shop today. They wanted $200 for it. The thing has been to the wars. The plastic surround that the jack mounts to is half broken away, it has three chrome and one black tuner. The paint is in rough shape and there is a nasty scratch on the base of the neck at the back. I didn't have time to play it, but I suspect that the electronics are in rough shape. There is a switch that was missing its knob and felt like it might have been broken internally. The question, I guess, is, is the body, neck, and pickups of one of these basses worth resurrecting?
    Does anybody know how to decode the serial number of one of these things? Will it tell me anything about it?
    It is a B-10, serial number 8001967.

Edit: Apparently the 80 means it was made in 1980. I'd have to call Washburn to learn any more than that.