Heard Peter Murray through a Markbass rig last night

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by choad42, Aug 23, 2009.

1. When my band arrived at our gig last night we managed to catch the last 30 minutes of the house band ( The Meteors ) wrapping up the their weekly jam session. I noticed that Peter Murray was on bass and yes he was sporting a Markbass rig along with a great sounding 5 string Bongo.

First, I want to mention how impressed I was with not only Peter's exceptional bass playing ( he's a brilliant bassist that really knows how to lock it down! ), but the huge, tight bass tone that I heard him getting with this very unassuming, small Markbass stack. Peter's sound was fantastic and more important, I could actually hear and feel the bass in the mix! For the last tune they ripped through Zepplin's "Whole Lotta Love" and with two guitarists it was a pretty loud romp, but Peter's bass was present, full and holding it all down. I was flabbergasted when I saw that all he was using looked to be a Markbass Mini CMD 121P combo with a Markbass New York 121 cabinet. I don't think there was any PA support for the bass either.

Afterwords, it was actually pretty laughable when I dragged the Avatar 4x10 cabinet and Traynor DB800H head that I'm currently using in as it really didn't sound anywhere near as good as Peter's mini Markbass stack, at least in this particular room. Not to mention it was a heavy, cumbersome load in/load out compared to the one handed load out that I saw Peter doing.

I recently strayed from Markbass for no good reason back when I had a Markbass SA450 a year ago. Well, I'm sold on the company's micro stacks which I'm going to be looking into ASAP!

Thanks for the enlightenment Peter! It was very reassuring to see and hear you performing last night as it solidifies all the great information you have shared on Talkbass.:cool:

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault

The Cobra Kings

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Peter said back in January he was using that rig and really
    liked it. Apparently he still does.
    I have a 121P combo. After talking with Peter, I thought a lot
    getting an NY121 cab. But I'm sitting here thinking how dumb
    I'd feel with my five other boxes and three other heads just
    sitting there doing nothing for long periods of time.
    As good as my UL112 matches up with the combo, I know the
    NY121 would be better. Maybe I can find a way to mount the
    F500 head into the 121P combo. Hmmmm........

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Got news for ya...it ain't the rig...it's Peter. OK, it's a little bit the rig ;) I had the same combo for a while and I thought it was great for what it was. Of course, I had to sell it before they came out with the matching extension cab :mad: It's OK, though...I'm not hurting ;)

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Where????

Paul

5. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Hey Paul, the Cobra Kings sound awesome !!

6. Thanks so much Dean! I really appreciate that!!!:D

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault

The Cobra Kings

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Shoot! Thank god for that! For a moment I though he was talking to me and my head started achin' :)

hey i like the Cobra Kings too!

Another Paul

8. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

10. Who did you perform there with Paul? It's not too bad a sounding room 'eh?

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault

The Cobra Kings

11. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

At the time I was with a blues/classic rock outfit called Six EL Six. I coined the name as a joke 'cos the guitar player used an amp that I built for him that could use either 6L6GCs or EL34s. He liked the name so it stuck! :)

My current offerings use both and are foot switchable between them. Kinda like two amps for the price of one!

Paul

12. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    That is cool, I love names like that. :cool:

13. Peter Murray

Peter Murray Commercial User

Dec 13, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Currently doing marketing and artist relations work for Xvive, and product videos for Markbass
    Wow Paul, thank you so much for the kind words!
    Very much appreciated.

I play on average about four gigs a week, usually around Toronto, with a variety of bands, lately mostly the Nomads, Naked Brunch, and my prog rock band Druckfarben.

In case anyone's interested... this Thursday I'm with the Nomads at the Ex (Strikers Bar & Grill) and will be using supplied (Markbass!) backline. Friday and Saturday I'm at the Biermarkt on King St. with Naked Brunch, probably with the Mini CMD 121P+NY121, but you never know... I've also been spending some quality time with two NY604s and a Little Tube 800 (sounded great last weekend)... Next Thursday the 3rd I'm playing with Druckfarben at the Ex (the Budweiser Midway Stage) 7:30-11. That's a different sounding thing that I use a Studio Pre 500 head for (to add high-end grit) and... hmm... not sure what I'll use for this, maybe the Classic 106 cabinet.

If any of you come out to any of these gigs, please come and chat with me!

Thanks again, Paul. :)

Cheers,
    Peter

14. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Cool stuff.

Do any of your bands have web sites or MySpace pages Peter?

Also, I'm guessing Naked Brunch is a twist on the William S. Burroughs book, but Druckfarben? Where did that come from?

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I tried the CMD 121P with the NY 121 cab today at GC and it was quite the little rig. It could get loud, full, and sounded great. I'm starting to think they may have slipped me some of the cool-aid cuz I've been thinking about that little sucker all day. :p

16. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    I played the CMD 121P by itself in a pinch when we were backlining off of another band's gear. I'm in a loud, busy indie/rock/punk band, and that thing did not cut the mustard against our Rhodes piano, keyboards, and effects-laden guitar sounds. It was muffled, dull, and pillowy, even with PA reinforcement and some time spent twisting knobs between tracks.

Even with my ultra-clear and punchy Schecter played pickstyle, I couldn't get enough clarity out of it. I was thoroughly unimpressed. My two cents.

17. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    Muffled, dull, and pillowy?? That's about exactly opposite of how I'd describe that combo. Actually it's punchy, alive, clear, and fast. Was something going on with the PA mix?

18. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    It could have been. The club had a terrible sound system, but even onstage with the amp volume at a good level left me with no 'cut' or depth... just midrangey 'wumph' no matter where I put the knobs.

It sounded bad enough for that show that I was genuinely shocked... there could have been something wrong with the amp too, it was almost like the speaker was screwed up or blown.

19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Those combos have their places...a loud rock gig is not one of them.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021