Heard some interesting string combinations at jazz camp...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Aaron Saunders, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    This weekend at jazz camp, out of the 6 DB players there (including faculty,) I managed to hear...everyone playing with Spiros in some combination or another.

John Geggie - Spiro E and A with Obligato D and G
    Kieran Overs - Spiro E, A, and D with a Eudoxa Flatchrome G

And the rest of us were all using straight Spiros, except for one bassist, who was using unidentified strings that he was changing soon after camp. I believe his had red silk at the tailpiece end with black windings on 'em? Not sure.

Has anyone else used the Eudoxa Flatchrome G with Spiros? All in all, it was the sound that I liked the most -- although it's quite possible that was because Kieran Overs is an incredible bass player with a DB that costs more than my dad's Hyundai. How does the feel compare between the Flatchrome and the Spiros? It was a pretty balanced sound that seemed to really get rid of the electric BG-like mwaahhhh I always here from Spiro G's, especially in the upper register. Anyone used the Eudoxa D with them, too? My main gripe about the Spiros I have are the really BG-esque tone I get with the G string and the ranginess of the D with the bow. Is my solution to buy mix up Spiros and Eudoxas?
  2. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Aaron, glad to see you went to the camp. The strings depend very much on the bass you are putting them on. Spirocores on bright basses sound horrible. John's jazz bass is a pretty old Wilfer. Kieran's bass is also pretty old too. The bright strings can work on those mellow basses. I did not know John had changed to Obligatos on G and D - he has them on his classical bass although I believe he is using a different A since the Obligato A has that rolling problem. It will be interesting to see if he sticks with them. Also you should know that the Spiros on John's bass are really old (unless he changed them recently) so they have mellowed quite a lot. The last time I played his bass (which was a while ago), he had E, A, and D Spiros and a Dominant G. Sounded very nice. Also, I believe John uses Weichs and not Mittels. Spiro G can be horribly bright which is why a lot of guys use a different G.

I've never heard anyone use Spiros and Eudoxas but they could work.
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I was using spiro weich E A & D for a while with an obligato G. The G strings on both of these sets seem much brighter than the rest on my bass. The obli G matched the spiros well in both tension and sound. The Obli D went dead fairly quickly and was too dull sounding compared to the rest.
  4. dfp

dfp Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    "My main gripe about the Spiros I have are the really BG-esque tone I get with the G string and the ranginess of the D with the bow"

my thoughts exactly. Superflexible G and D solve both problems for me. it's not the best arco you'll ever find, but for my tastes and needs and bass, the best compromise. tension is close enough to medium Spiros to work with your A and E.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Actually, I'm pretty sure he mentioned that he was probably going to change the Obligatos on it to something different, and yes indeedy, he did have Weichs. As far as the age of Kieran's bass...I think I heard somewhere in the 1800's.

How was the balance going from the Dominant G to the Spiro D, A, and E?
  6. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Yeah I had problems with my Spiro D too under the bow. For a while I tried to just deal with it, hoping I'd just work it out somehow but I eventually gave up and put a helicore D in its place. The problem disappeared and I can bow them with a smile now.

Some basses get along great with all the spiros on all levels...for those who have one that does they truly have the best of both worlds in my book.

Who knows maybe when we all bought our spiro sets somebody just calibrated the D string machine incorrectly or something...more fun to blame than my bowing skills LOL
  7. I put on a set consisting of Superflex E and A with Obligato D and G, and I'm starting to like it a lot. I don't like the brightness of the Spiros, and the Supers seem to match up well to the Oblis in terms of feel/tension and timbre. Of course the Superflex E and A are a lot less flabby than the Obli E and A, which is the main reason I decided on this configuration.
  8. brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification
    I've been using Spirocore E and A with Eudoxa D and G for about 2 months now. I really love the sound. It's huge and I seem to get the right amount of definition (usually...as long as the weather isn't really humid) from the bass. My bass is a pretty bright sounding old German, so the match is good. Also, the arco sound is just about perfect, and especially great for orchestra.

The only problem I'm having is with the thickness of the Eudoxas. I guess since I am used to Spirocores, so that could be my problem. I just can't get around like I used to. I keep hoping I will adjust over time...

Anyone else have this problem with Eudoxas??
  9. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thats good to hear - I have Spirocore medium (reds) E and A already fitted (that are working very well for me), and Superflexible D and G that just arrived from KC Strings that I will get the chance to put on tomorrow. Theoretically I thought they would be a good match - I'm glad that someone else has had a good experience with this combo already.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Are you using Weichs or Mittels?

Intriguing. After I get my bass setup, I'm going to buy a Eudoxa G and a Superflexible G and compare the two. Once I make my decision, a matching D will follow :).

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Eudoxa G IMO is a lot darker sounding than the Superflexible. More prominant fundamental and a bigger overall sound. They are almost night and day. The Eudoxa is at least twice as expensive too! I think it would be a great string to pair up with Spirocores on the bottom. I am using Superflexibles on my E and A trying to get a darker sound with more fundamental on the low end. So far I am not completely convinced again with these strings but I'll give it a couple weeks.