'Hearing' bass..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jumping_Bomb_Angel, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Has anyone noticed that often, chicks cant 'hear' the bass in a song? This is more uncommon in men, apparently. My Wife frustrates the hell out of me - when I say 'wow - didja hear that?' and she goes 'what?'..the only way I can teach/point out the bass to her is if we go to a concert and i take her out the back - then she can hear the 'thump thump thump' and recognise it.'

Ive found most chicks either take ages to recognise it or cant hear it at all - frustrating.

Have any of you noticed this small flaw in womanhood also?
  2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    She probably didnt know what you were talking about! i have noticed that aswell. When my mum comes into my room and watches me play a song she like/has heard, she says, "I didnt know that something like that could fit in there!!" I think this is sorta of the same deal, isnt it?
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm gonna let PROUD MARY and SMELLSLIKEHER deal with this one.
  4. I find this more common in non-musicians rather than non-males.

Well...there's always an exception, but that's usually someone who's just started playing an instrument anyway, usually guitar. :D:p
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Yup, it's bassists vs. non-bassists.

And even for bassists it oviously takes a while, when you look at the number of newbies who ask for tabs here.
  6. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    My whole families like that - it sucks when I'm like - Oh man guys did you hear that awesoem bass fill in this Tool song - or whatever and they just look at me like "Wait, the songs called prison sex?"

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I know what you mean. For me (and I suspect many other bass players), the song is the bass line, and that other crap is just the matrix for it.
  8. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I can hear the bass in songs just fine. Thank you. :p

And yes, it's more of bassists vs. non-bassists. Us bassists have accustomed our ears to hear the bass over everything else in the song, more or less.

Edited to decorate with smilies :mad: :mad:
  9. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Actually my wife has gotten to the point where when she hears a particularly tasty lick, she'll go "wow, can you play that?" I usually lie and say "oh, sure". If it's Vic or Stanley, I'll say something like "I could play that in my sleep". Of course I tend to dream when I sleep, so technically it's not a lie.

James Martin
  10. Dancehallclasher had a thread about this a while back, but with his dad.

It's not necessarily a male vs. female or a musician vs. non-musician thing; it's a trained listener/afficionado deal. Most people treat music as background noise or aural wallpaper. Since most mainstream rock bassists are just the second- or third-best guitarist in the band, they're mixed low, so they don't stick out above the vocals and the drums, and thus nobody notices the bassline.

Also, most boomboxes and computer speakers can't do much below 200Hz anyway.
  11. This is true. I could pick up basslines rather easy before i had started playing bass, when I had been in band for a few years.
  12. bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    It also depends on how much bass is in the mix and the volume your listening at music too. For example, I have a hard time hearing Pantera or Metallica (studio) basslines, but funk and jazz is easy as pie.
  13. Yep, its a musos thing. Also, people who watch live music are more likely to be aware of the different parts we play..... maybe males are more inclined to want to watch live music???

In my experience men are more likely to be interested in the nitty, gritty and who's who of music, whereas I'm more happy to listen and enjoy! Wasn't the book and film 'Hi-Fidelity' by Nick Hornby about this?
  14. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'm surprised you guys didn't know that the ability to hear below 400hz is clearly on the Y chromosome. :rolleyes:
  15. It may not even be a question of trained ear vs. aficionado...

Long before I started bass, I DID pay big attention to the basslines even if the bass was not that clear. I did not ear-train nor play anything as a kid (OK, I still don't really ear-train...me stoopid) but there was this sound I REALLY LIKED! What's that?...Hmmm... look at the old MTV vids (talkin' 1982 folks) and oh... there... the bass guitar... cool... so, you get the idea...right?

I'm pretty sure there are aficionados out there who don't know $ about music who pay attention to the bass.

Oh yeah, if ya can't hear good ol' Peter on Joy Division or Geddyman on Rush check with your doctor...:rolleyes:

just my 0.03€!
  16. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

You are an exception though. In a way you are/were an aficionado, you just didn't know of what. :D
  17. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yeah they can't drive either.
  18. scuse me? i think you should look at the number of females (who are all bassists) here honey before you go bashing em...

kudos to that...
  19. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001

how true it is... :D