Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hearing differece between..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by only4him012, Mar 19, 2003.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    our band doesn't have a mixing person who takes care of what the audience hear. for me sometimes i realize that my bass sound doesn't shake the building enough so i raise mine up, but im not sure about how the people hear the bass. so what should i do when i have to raise the volume in the middle of a song or performance?:bassist: :confused:

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, you can't, you need two hands to play the bass :D

The thing is, you can't tell from the stage whether your volume does need raising or not. The audience don't hear the same thing you do.

When you set up, you need to sound check - you need to get someone to go out into where the audience will be, and tell you how it sounds, and what levels need changing, and instruments need EQing etc.

Perhaps one of the band will have to do it. Do you have a singer who doesn't play an instrument? They could go out and listen - so you can get the balance of the other instruments right. Then it's just a matter of getting the vocal level right.

BTW, if the bass is shaking the building, it's too loud :D

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Having a friend in the audience during the performance that can give you a thumbs up, down or okay would help a lot, that and a volume pedal would allow you to adjust your sound to the room while you're playing.