hearing distortion in my ampeg B100R. help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by furiously funky, Mar 31, 2004.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    the other day, my ampeg started to distort. it is being played at reasonable volumes no where near pushing the amp, the pre gain is a-okay, and i have never misused the amp. its only about 2 and a half years old, what could be the problem? i've tried it with different basses, different cords, same problem. i dont know what it could be. any help would be awsome
  2. Have you looked at the speaker? A crease in the speaker cone can cause distortion.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    That's my guess.

If it's not the speaker, don't muck around. Take it straight to a repairer. If the problem is in the amp, it could be one of many things. I had a similar problem with a Labsystems amp a few years ago and it turned out to be a transistor that failed due to excessive hits transit (we were touring at the time). But the repairers weren't game to diagnose it until they opened it up.
  4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    According to the age of your amp, it is still under manufacturer warranty. Going that way is the wisest thing you can do.

Hope this helps,

5. Do you play an active bass? Have you replaced the battery recently?? This could be a cheap fix for you if I'm right......I sure hope it is this simple! :)
  6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    batteries are fine,
    thanks for the help. to the shop it goes

7. Damn that's a shame....hope you get it fixed cheap/free! :)
  8. Good luck. If you think of it, please let us know how things turn out.