Hearing Fading

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stephen S, Mar 7, 2004.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I went to a show last night and it was very loud in a small room. My ears aren't as good as they were before the show. Are they just slowly healing or will it be like this forever.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Everytime you do this your hearing permanently worsens. Wear earplugs, you only have so many loud shows before it's too late. I have had this happen to me a few times more than I'd like, you gotta get a nice set of ear plugs for concerts and rehearsals and stuff, and maybe a couple of cheaper sets just in case you forget your nice set(keep in wallet or something)

Go read the post about hearing loss in Misc. It's a sticky on the top.
  3. yeah i cant hear for about a day after a loud show. And i know my hearing is never gonna get better. But you will get used to the loss and it'll seem like you can hear again. But yeah, earplugs work fine, and you can still feel the energy of the show. Plus, its not like a concert packed full of dancing and screaming/singing fans is the kind of environment where sound quality and critical listening really count.
    And if you have long hair like me nobody even knows youve got plugs in.
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I have three pairs from Mike Dimin, keep one in the laptop bag, one on the keychain, and one in the car.
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Read the thread by Boplicity, sticky in MISC.

Get it?

Wish I had read that 30 years ago, what?
  6. whiteshadow

Jul 3, 2001
    I'm fairly young (19) and I know my hearing has been damaged by some shows, and I really haven't been to too many. Perchance I'm predisposed to hearing loss? Who knows...
  7. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I use ear plugs but I really think they take away from the performance. As soon as I have the money I'm going to invest in a wireless monitor system so I can hear the music at exactly the level I want without damaging my ears.

Still, it's earplugs for me until I get it. Not worth the damage (and yes I do have occasional fits of tinnitus from going to shows in highschool).