Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hearing loss

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by pkr2, Dec 6, 2003.

do you suffer a hearing loss?

Poll closed Dec 14, 2003.
  1. yes, I have permanent hearing loss and have played in a band situation for at least 5 years

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. I've played at least 5 years and have no hearing probs.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I just finished reading the thread in misc. about ear plugs and hearing loss.

I wonder how many of us have suffered hearing loss as a result of loud music exposure.

Please respond to the poll only if you have played in a loud band situation for at least 5 years.

2. I personally feel that playing high volume on stage has contributed to my hearing loss, but I also have been subjected to loud environments at work and play, (Machine shop, race cars and motorcycles) which contributed also. I do use hearing protection to save what hearing I have left/

John

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I know I have some hearing loss in my left ear, due to some moronic coworkers in my live sound days, as well as playing in loud rock bands.

I'll find out for sure later this month when I visit an audiologist. I'd recommend that everyone visits a dedicated audiologist, who can give you a sonogram, or a graph of your hearing loss plotted by frequency. They can also mold you custom earplugs that feel fantastic and offer a flat frequency response. The reasons I don't like normal ear plugs is that they are uncomfortable and have exaggerated high frequency loss. The custom plugs solve both problems! :)

4. Iv been playing in a school band and have been going to loud concerts for over 5 years and i have lost half my hearing in my right ear does that count?

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Absolutely! Tnx for the input.

6. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yes seeing an audiologist is a good thing.. I am taking an audiology course next semester as part of My speech Degree. Very Interesting stuff... You guys really need to take care of those ears, damage caused by loud noises is sensory Neural hearing loss and CANNOT be reversed...

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    WHAT??!!

Oh yeah. earplugs good. Wear them. I might have to go see an audiologist for some of the custom ear plugs!