1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hearing on stage

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by gazzatriumph, Feb 10, 2019.

1. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    Hi all, I play in a classic rock band a singer guitarist drummer and myself on bass. We play smallish pub/bar venues and recently I find I can't hear the guitarist which the majority of times is not a problem but on some songs where the lead he plays varies on the night I can get a bit lost. The sound up front is fine and balanced. The drummer is quite loud from where I'm standing and wondered if the cymbals would interfere with the guitar frequencies. I'm in my 50's with tinnitus and some mild hearing loss. I thought about using wireless and go and stand by the guitarist. The PA is just for vocals and kick drum anyone have any ideas.

2. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Put some guitar into the monitors.

nucman, smogg, Cheez and 3 others like this.
  3. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    Just spoke with guitarist, he will use a boost for his leads breaks as this is where I loose him. I'll leave thread on in case it's of help to anyone else . Cheers .

Zbysek likes this.
  4. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    We don't have any monitors at this time, the drummer is going get one for the vocals, but yeah monitors would be the answer.

5. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    surprised-pickachu.

6. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    You're a bass player! Listen to the drummer. Guitar players are just decorations there so girls will have something to fawn over.

Zbysek, Methaneman, JC Nelson and 9 others like this.
  7. Marley's Ghost

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    :roflmao: Funny, but some of us bass players get fawned over too. :cool: And I do need to hear my guitarist (who DI's through his Headrush board) in the monitors.

gazzatriumph likes this.
  8. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    ^ Yeah, I have guitar in my IEM's or wedges.

gazzatriumph likes this.
  9. We have a vocals only PA (and a busy drummer) and I used to struggle to hear our guitarist sometimes until we went to IEMs.

Now I get enough guitar bleed into the guitarists vocal mic and the buds cut out a lot of the noisy-ass drummer. I get enough drums through the drummer's vocal mic.

HolmeBass and gazzatriumph like this.
  10. Goatrope

Goatrope

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    Yup. Get some. Similar situation at a particular venue, with a very shallow stage.

We put the guitar in the monitor and problem solved.

gazzatriumph likes this.
  11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Get a longer chord or wireless. When you need to hear the guitar, take a walk. Or see if the band would be willing to change the setup so you and the guitar are next to each other...you may or may not like this better.

If you have not been wearing ear plugs, I suggest you start. Ear plugs probably won't help you hear better now during gigs, but they will help you hear better later.

EdO. and gazzatriumph like this.
  12. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    If the guitar is fine FOH now, don't encourage him to get louder. Get a monitor. How are you hearing the vocals without one anyway?

13. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    A guitarist that can't be heard???????????????

14. We mix from the stage, guitarist operates the mixer and I go FOH and indicate what needs to go up or down.

I have to tell him to turn his guitar up a lot more often than down.

Just one of the reasons why we have been in 6 bands together over the last 17 years.

15. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Wow--a guitar player that's too quiet. That's a _rara avis_...

HolmeBass and gazzatriumph like this.
  16. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    Cheers for the replies , we discovered it's the lead breaks I can't hear so he has a pedal to boost this which he will put on his pedal board, hopefully this will solve the problem .

17. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    As we play smallish venues the vocals can be heard but not ideal without a monitor

18. gazzatriumph

gazzatriumph

Sep 27, 2012
    England
    Yeah I did that at previous gig so I could hear him

Wasnex likes this.
  19. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    About as rare as a bass player who took Latin.

20. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Get a monitor.
    You need to hear the chords also.
    You also need ear plugs for the drummer factor.
    "Take care of your ears."
    As always, good luck.