Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Mike Dimin, Apr 19, 2001.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have made arrangements with ER, the company who designs and makes custome ear plugs, to sell there ER-20 Hi-Fi Musicians Ear Plug. These plugs are "ready-fit" as opposed to the custom filters they are more famous for. The cost is $10.00 per pair plus reasonable shipping charges. For more info, please visit my site www.michaeldimin.com and follow the link from the bottom of the home page.

I am doing this as a service to talkbass members and the bass community. There is not much profit involved here. Remember, your hearing is the most important tool you have, as a musician - conserve it!

Mike Dimin

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Look very interesthing.

What metod of paiment is good for you?
    Since I live in canada the easiest way for me would be credit card.
    But I understand if you don't take them.
    Will you ship here?

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I use an online retailer "CC Now". They take all major credit cards and I ship worldwide. All info is at www.michaeldimin.com

Thanks for your interest.

Mike

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    just ordered some, looks pretty good. -the quote I got for custom fit was 150.00 and I'm as usual, broke. thanks for bringing this up.

5. Jennifer

Jennifer

Jul 31, 2000
    Erie, Illinois
    Thank you, Mike. I am ordering a pair today.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I received mine last friday. I gig with them sunday.
    They are great. The best I tried so far. the 2 guitar player in my band are interested (if they could play softer we wouldn't need them! :rolleyes:

The first 2 or 3 song, I couldn't hear good, but after you get used to your earplug, you can hear exactly the same thing (almost) but every thing is softer, not as loud.

Great buy

A very happy costumer

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Yvon,
    I am very glad that they work well for you.

Mike

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Another happy customer here. I've used them twice at practice, they are light years ahead of the old foam kind!! They aren't exactly the same as nothing, but they are really quite close. I would highly recommend them.

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I am relly glad that you guys are liking them - and saving your hearing. How much better can it get.

Mike

10. gitaru

gitaru

May 2, 2001
    I've just ordered a pair too, but most of the great colors are out of stock!!

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I stock mostly clear, because that is what most people want. I can get all the others, just let me know what you want and I can get it. It might just take a bit longer.

Mike

12. funkastorious

funkastorious

May 26, 2000
    Mpls, MN.
    Mike-

Wow, that's awesome. Great service man!

Personally, I use custom plugs but will order up a few sets for the gig bag. Never know when mine will get lost....

regards,

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I have a full range of colors. man, it is hard to keep these puppys in stock!

Mike

14. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Bringing this up again, because of the importance!
    I got a pair of ER20 the other day, and compared to any plug I tried yet, these are fabulous :)

Good on ya, Mike, for selling these (not to me, though, I'm in sweden:) )

Just one more thing: make sure to plug your ears BEFORE the first dude has his gear ready and starts warming up. BEFORE.......before...

15. ok... I think I´ll buy myself a couple of these plugs... if I´ll get my parents' credit card... they must give it to me... it´s my ears for christs sake.. I need protection! :)

but seeing them on those pics... don´t they stick like 2 cm. out of your ears or something... I don´t like looking like an alien ;) (or maybe looking MORE like an alien, I do look like one already...)

btw.. is there a way to order both the earplugs and the cd at the same time? so I don´t need to pay double shipping and stuff...

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The CD is not out yet, but when it does I am going to make a special deal for those wh have ordered ear plugs or my book in the past.

Mike

17. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Mike

I don't understand the ordering system. I want the clear over blue stem style, but the ordering page just says blue. How do I order the specific pair that I want?

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    G

The order form indicates what colors I currently have in stock. I change the order form as I run out/order more. Currently I have a large amount of all clear and not much more. Since this is more of a "service" than a $ making venture for me, I cannot really keep too many in stock. I'll probably order more colors in about 3 weeks if you want a specific color. You can also order them from ER directly www.etymotic.com but you'll pay more on shipping.

Mike

19. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I didnt buy mine from Mike as I am in UK and my dealer is 5 miles away, but...

I would recommend these earplugs over them foam and rubber type. I use the ones with the flesh coloured insert and feel less selfconcious (my rubber ones are orange).

BTW I occaisionally suffer from Tinnitus and I keep my ER20's in the case in my gig bag or pockets if I am a punter.

There is no noticeable treble loss and they dont make you feel distant like foam ones do (if you know what I mean)

So US posters order them from Mike now. BTW I am not Mike Dimin under another name or related or employed by him.

20. wrecks

wrecks

Jun 15, 2001
    CS Where iss your dealer!!!!????

I have been looking for some proper filters all over the uk and cannot find any non custom fit ones any where. Please let me know

Thanks