Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bizzaro, Mar 27, 2002.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Just wondering what others use for hearing protection when necessary? I have been useing Sonic II's which are much better than the foam thingy's but still muffle the sound substantially. I am hoping to find a better alternative?

2. there are serveral grades in foam ones..

currently i don't use the orange ones.. they cost $ 4 for 10 pieces.. they soften the highs better than the yellow ones, but don't muffle it... more like a compressor-type foams :D

3. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I don't use them much when rehearsing or playing live - our volume levels don't really call for it.

But, when out on my bike(see avatar) is use the orange foam type ones made by 3M - they are excellent!

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    The foam things are not what I am interested in. The ones I use have a mechanical device in them that block out the harmfull higher frequencies. Much better than the foam type. I know there are others out there similar to the Sonic's. I was hoping to hear better while still blocking out the harmfull frequencies?

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I have a review at home on earpplugs that was done in the Guitarist magazine. I'll try to check it out and see what their recommendation was!

There was a custom earplug for biking use - they turned out to be no better than the 3M ones but at about $200 a set, the opinion was that you can buy a lot of the 3M ones for that money!

I'll let you know what I turn up!

6. I use the Hearsafe ER-15 Earplugs. They are custom made and include a linear Filter that dampens by 15dB. They really sound great, almost no difference to the sound withound the plugs, only a bit softer :)

http:\\www.hearsafe.de

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've been using Hearos (the skin-colored ones, 30 dB damping) www.hearos.com for more than 10 years at work, rehearsals, gigs, in concerts and discos.

I'm going to get custom-made protectors as soon as I can afford them.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Going to an auidiologist or Ear Nose and Throat doctor to get custom made ear plugs would probably offer the best hearing protection while preserving sound quality and comfort. I use the same Hearos that JMX does and they work great. They are probably the best off the shelf ear plugs around. And they are reusable so you only have to buy one pair.

9. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK

10. hehehe

this just needed to be taken out... :D

I've got a weird sense of humor!

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Now I know where all those missing or lost hearos wound up... :D