1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funky-Wunky, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Anyone use hearing protection when playing with loud bands? What is the best kind to use these days? I remember seeing ads for musicians ear hearing protection in the past.

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Custom musician's ear plugs are the best. They come in your choice of 9, 15 or 25 dB reduction, and are usually available through audiologists and hearing aid centers.

Etymotic ER-20s are a good universal fit earplug.

3. Funky-Wunky

Funky-Wunky

Jun 15, 2004
    Maryland
    Is there a difference between regular ear plugs and musicians ear plugs?

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Yep! Musicians earplugs let you hear a little bit.

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Musicians ear plugs have a more even frequency response and don't kill all the high frequencies the way that the "foam" plugs do. The ER-20 plugs are a good low-cost option and do a good job.

I have some custom fit molds with two sets of filters. I found that the 15dB filters cut too much of the sound with my current band, so I ordered a set of the 9dB filters and I feel more "connected". The 15dB are great when I'm playing with a very loud drummer, or when attending a concert, but I found they are a little too much damping with my current bands I play with.

6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I agree. I got a set with -25db plugs and, used in both ears, it's way too much cut. (I need to get some 9 or 10db) I can still hear everything and I can use them, but I can't talk (the sound of own voice in my head is overwhelming). Generally I use just the left ear (thats where the drummer is) when his wife shows up to the gig and he feels a need to 'shine'.

I wish I had done this years ago. When you lose it, you don't get it back. Take care yourself.

7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I ALWAYS wear hearing protection, including during practice, and we're not a loud band. The exception is when we turn off the amps and do an acoustic practice. I recommend that as a good idea, because it helps you hear things you won't pick up when amplified and wearing hearing protection.

The Alpine MusicSafe plugs are my favorites, as they are $30 a pair. http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/alnasoearpl.html Each set comes with 3 plugs (1 pair + 1 spare), three sets of interchangeable filters, and a hard plastic case. This is by far the best buy I've found in functional and comfortable earplugs, and they are a lot more comfortable than the cheaper -20dB Etymotics. I'll grant the Etymotics are the way to go if you're even cheaper than I am, but I tried them and decided they feel too much like solid plugs.