Hearing Troubles/Loss?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Hefferstud, Apr 27, 2003.

1. I was on the forums a couple of weeks ago and ran across a post where a dude had played way too loud and now he cant hear, he has a constant ringing in his ear and has to have a CD player or fan going constantly to drown out the ring. If anyone could find this post please PM me or post it here, or if you were the author please tell me because i have a possible solution that you might want to try that may get rid of the ringing in your ears because the same thing happened to me (i had a constant ringing for 4 months) and now i dont just by trying this, so please tell me.
  2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Why don´t you tell us anyway?

There are other members here who also suffer from tinnitus.

If you have any remedy, please share it.
  3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Me and my tinnitus would be interested in "hearing" about this, too.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:
  4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I hear you loud and clear, let´s hope he´ll give us this info..

5. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
  6. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    Spend $10 from your current Pay Check/Allowances and get yourself an Ear Plug! They really do help!

7. i was just gonna say that i thought this happened to me. I played for a while and noticed i had a ringing in my ears. I went to my doctor for the first time and i was really worried. When he told me that i Had tinnitus it sucked, thinking i had to live the rest of my life like that. So i lived my life until my brother went to the doctor and i went with him, me and my mom figured "hey why not just get a 2nd opinion" and i asked my brothers doctor to check it out. After closely looking at it, he noticed that instead of having tinnitus, sometimes ear wax builds up from too much noise and normally it would go away but sometimes it stays there for no apparent reason, and this stuff is super hard, not even over the counter medicines will break it up, so he shoved a big hook in my ear and had to scrape it all out, and after that, the ringing went away within 15 minutes. Im just saying dont conclude you have tinnitus until u get a 2nd opinion, because it happened to me and quite possibly it could be the same thing i had.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's unusual that they went for the hook scooper without trying to syringe the gunk out first (ie use a syringe to blast some warm water down your ear canal).

It's also a very individual thing. I had a hell of a time getting my ears cleaned out, my ears produce wax quite easily. My ex-g/f went in shortly after and didn't have a single bit of wax buildup, despite being a PA operator and being exposed to loud music more often than I am. Everyone's different apparently.

Did you notice you hearing improve? I noticed I could hear high frequencies better.
  9. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Can anyone comment on using earplugs while singing live?
  10. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I guess they might help - especially if you're a singer who has the habit of pressing their ear so that you can hear your own note clearly. Extenal noises are reduced in volume but you can hear your internal 'head sounds' more clearly.

11. my hearing improved greatly. i could actually sleep at night without the constant annoying ringing in my ears. The only trouble i have now is that high frequencies like my guitarists amp's feedback really hurt my ears, more than it did before, but its a much smaller problem than living with a constant ringing. So i fixed this by wearing earplugs, its amazing how 2 little $10 pieces of plastic can mean the difference between never hearing yourself play again, or playing till ur 60 and still enjoying it.

Play it safe. Use Earplugs ;)
  12. Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    The ear plugs just reduce the noise to keep it at a safe level and you can still hear yourself, right? I'd hate to not be able to listen to what I'm doing, although I doubt that's the case. Just curious and surprisingly uninformed.
  13. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    That or steal some from an airport :p
  14. yes, u can still hear uself play while the plugs are in.
  15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    It's definitely a different sensation, as you hear your voice inside your head. Some people can never get used to it, but for me and the rest of the guys in my band it was an easy adjustment. If it seems really weird at first don't be discouraged and stick with it for a while. Once you do get used to singing with earplugs I've found that it's a whole lot easier to hear youself sing. I don't even need myself in the monitors any more.
  16. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ah right. Hearing yourself better is definitely a bonus. I really hate singing live when I can't hear myself properly.
  17. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    If your first doctor couldnt see the wax build up, get another doctor. This stuff is easy to see and should be the first thing checked when anyone complains of ear problems.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    My Brother got his ears cleaned once, after he had an infection. He was complaining for weeks about how clear and loud everything was. :D

I could probably go for a good ear cleaning.

I don't have tinnitus, but I should look into getting ear-plugs, there was a drummer at my school that ALWAYS wore earplugs when he played, he was a good drummer(played a lot of metal stuff)and people often teased him for his earplugs, unfortunately, the teasing came mostly from other musicians :(
    furthermore, it's unfortunate that people look at earplugs as "wimpy" or "lame" or whatever, worth it if you could lose hearing forever by NOT wearing them:bawl: