Hearing yourself onstage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by keepmusicevil, Sep 6, 2002.

1. keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I don't know if this is the right forum, my apologies if its not.

Has anyone used a P.E.M. (Personal Ear Monitor) or any other "in-the-ear" monitor? I have a little difficulty hearing myself over the snarrrlll of my twin guitarist, and was looking for feedback on the issue.

Also, do they act as a sort of 'earplug' too, cause I wear plugs most of the time.

2. keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    My guitarist are both using 2 4x12 cabs, one with a Mesa head, the other a Marshall. I am told my bass is quite hearable by audience members ( some are musicians) and the soundman. I figured the monitors must not be that good, otherwise I would have heard more about them.
  3. "My guitarist are both using 2 4x12 cabs"

That is your problem right there, unless you're playing 10,000+ seat venues. Tell those monkeys to turn down, and if they whine "but I need to have it cranked wide open to get my sound," then tell them to reduce the wattage of their heads by switching out the power tubes or to put their rigs in the venue's basement with a mic on them.

When somebody starts to turn up, a no-win battle starts and the band ends up sounding bad overall.
  4. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    ...unless you're in a loud-ass rock band and the sound you're going for can only be achieved by being, as you say, 'too loud'! I've also got two guitarists with 4x12's and wouldn't have it any other way. ...and I use big rigs so I have no worries.
  5. keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    Maybe this should be another topic, but HOW do you convince a GUITARIST to turn it down? Stubborn people, in my experience, who think of "their" sound and not the overall sound that everyone hears. Thanks for your input.
  6. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    if you want them to spend their money, tell them to add a power brake. marshall makes them and it allows them to crank all they want to get "their tone" but at lower volume. feed them a line of bull and say its better for their tubes and all the pros use it for recording. then you should add another cab turn up and see how they feel...hahahaha stupid guitarists!
  7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    aside from beating the holy hell out of them, rent an amp that is too damn loud for your practice place. crank it as loud as it will go with as many speakers as it will hold and blow them out of the water. when you are done playing they will tell YOU to turn down. and then you say: well now you know how i feel you stupid guitarists! and tell them that you will turn down, but only when they do too. that's what i did to our one overly obnoxious primadonna guitarist with all our available PA cabs. when he turned up i did too and you couldn't hear a note. everyone else in the band applauded me! even the other guitarist. every time he would crank too much i'd grab the pa cabs again and he'd turn down...
  8. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I use 2 cabs, One 610 cab and one 210 wedge(carvin) that I use as a bass "Monitor" angled up at me . I always am able to hear myself
  9. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I worked with a pair of guitarists that liked to crank the volume - we ended up turning the cabs to the wall, and miking them. I played for a number of years (and sometimes still do) not really hearing what I was doing. This is one of those things where you really need to know where you're going, and learn to sacrifice stage presence for what the audience hears/
  10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    allright turn up the mids!!! you will cut through really nice.
    i have a trace commando head. 100 watts. and my guitar player has a crate half stack. and a loud drummer.
    i turned up the mids on my amp. i could easially hear my self and everyone else.
    we recorded the practice just to see.(it was are first time with the drummer.)
    you heard my bass and the drummer and the guitarist perfectly.
    and infact i always thought my bass sounded bad. well i always thought it was the cab. the crate.
    it sounded awsome in the mix!! i can't belive that was my amp. it sounded great! i can't get over it.
    i have never had a problem with a guitarist turning up his amp. infact o told my guitarist that i was getting a 8x10 cab. well i might.
    i am just going to stop rambaling.
    don't cut your mids. your guitarist cut theirs then you get drowned out. boost your mids nad everything will be well.