1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heartbeat on a shielded bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bass-desires, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Hey Guys,

I don't think I'm the reformed grinch or anything but I have a strange problem. My basses often pick up my heart beat and it clicks regularly if I have my bass at my chest, especially after playing a song. The bass I'm using is a ole GSR200 Ibanez but its been professionally shielded as well.

This also happens with my other bass that is unshielded but kinda clicky with my touch.

Both are passive, and I heard recently that passives pick up more noise, I have been shopping for an active. Would that make a difference?

I have to hold the bass away from my chest in between songs to keep the clicking down....its a pain. Any suggestions?

2. Ice pick.

3. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Haha, that is maybe not in my best long term interests. :bag:

4. ByF

ByF

May 19, 2009
    Just when I thought I had heard everything. . .

Ed

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Do you have a pace maker? If not, your heart may indeed be 2 sizes too big.

6. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Have you got a pacemaker fitted?:cool:

7. Are the pickups microphonic?

8. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Are you a terminator of some sort? Had my basses pickup a watch but not a heartbeat.

9. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Haha, no pacemaker. I'm in my mid-twenties and hope I don't have one of those anytime soon. :ninja:

Maybe my heart is just too big. Good pickup line maybe?

It is odd, I get click, click, click, right in time with my pulse.

10. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    You sure your wrist isn't resting against a string? That would seem more likely, since what you are describing is the sound of your pulse.

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    pickups can hear the click of a quartz watch.

12. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    No watch, and usually my hands are on the neck and/or body. It even clicks there. I have shown friends by having the bass to my chest, lifting it away and the sound stopping. I wear a medic alert necklace (as I am Type 1 diabetic), could that be a contributing factor? :eyebrow:

13. Milky

Milky

Jan 26, 2006
    Knoxville, TN
    I was going to ask if you wear a necklace. Maybe your heartbeat is pushing the necklace enough to contact the body? Does it make a sound when you take both hands off of the bass?

14. Umm, maybe take it off for a minute and try again?

15. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Don Johnson?

16. Bass-desires

Bass-desires

Oct 25, 2008
    El paso, TX
    Well, I just sat down with her and played for a bit, and wasn't able to recreate the sound as it only seems to happen after playing a for longer than 10 min. I rested my wrist at different points and didn't pick up any clicking. I'm a little confounded but the whole thing.

Heat is can affect conductivity right? Maybe its after the bass and I are warmed up.

I have to head to work, but I will check back here if I am able.

Don Johnson?

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

Hey! That's Dweezil on guitar!

18. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    My bass clicks when my phone is receiving data in my pocket...it's a blackberry. Sounds like someone is dialing with a pulse telephone. Never my own pulse though.

19. Any chance you have read Edgar Allan Poe's 'Tell-Tale Heart' recently? ;)

20. Yeah, that happens with speakers too.

I have two pairs of high end studio monitors running in my home studio. My iPhone makes them click so badly that I cannot keep it with me when I am in that room with the equipment on...