1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heartbreaking Jam Session Experience

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Trayster2, Jun 18, 2017.

1. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    I was hanging out with friends this Friday night and to make a long story short, it turned into an impromptu jam session. This guy had a music room with guitars & a drum set. At one point, I slipped onto drums & explained I hadn't played since 8th grade (& I only played for 2 years), I just wanted to try out these electronic drums. Well, we played a few songs and they all said I was a better drummer than bass player. Went home heartbroken after 5 years of lessons, time, effort & money spent. Plus I ❤️ bass.

Has it all been a waste? Should my next "bass" be an Alesis or Roland? Just wondered if this has ever happened to anyone & what did you do afterwards?
    Thanks in advanced.

Gaolee, Stumbo, Smooth_bass88 and 6 others like this.
  2. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please. Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    Do what you love.

RaggaDruida, Tbone76, ialma and 23 others like this.
  3. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, but really, who wants to be a drummer? Go with your heart.

4. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Love what you do.

:cigar:

Leiria, gregoire1, lowplaces and 2 others like this.
  5. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    Ouch. I can see why that might bother you. But, if you love bass, play bass! They probably were overreacting, anyway. Even if they weren't, do what you love.

Trayster2 likes this.
  6. back4more

back4more Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Oakland, CA
    I wish I could play drums, in addition to bass. You're ahead of the game, IMO.

7. Stick with bass. All playing drums will do is get you fired from many bands.;)

8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    even if your friends are knowledgable critics, if you love playing bass, you should play bass. i'm actually probably a better acoustic guitar player than bass player, but bass is what i love. none of what you've done or spent is a waste if it brings joy to your life!

Tbone76, petch, bholder and 7 others like this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would have to hear you do both. And I would have to know if the guys you were hanging out with were great musicians or drunk dipsticks....or somewhere in between.

After 5 years of lessons you should be pretty stinking good at bass if you have a propensity for it at all.

If you have been taking lessons for 5 years and still stink either you haven't been practicing or bass isn't your thing at all.

10. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    No, I practice everyday about an hour a day. I'm sticking with it for sure.
    Thanks so much, everybody.

47th Street, Tbone76, GregC and 12 others like this.
  11. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    There is a lot more to drumming than playing well; you would also have to work on being an egotistical drama queen.

12. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    And exploding. Don't forget the exploding.

Seriously, I've always wanted to be in a band where all the players rotated on all the instruments, every few songs. You know, you play a few and then someone yells "Switch!" and everyone does.

13. It could have been their way of trying to compliment your drumming without thinking that it was backhanded. You were there to get a better sense of how they said it but it wasn't necessarily a criticism of your bass playing.

Westsailor, Tbone76, woodyng2 and 9 others like this.
  14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    You should have pulled a Peter Criss & told them you were going to quit if they don't start paying you more.

Tbone76, Strung_Low and Trayster2 like this.
  15. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Fire your inner drummer!:D

16. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Opinions are good, but go with what makes you happy.

Good Luck!

Lesgo, Trayster2 and pcake like this.
  17. Jrussblues

Jrussblues Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Prairieville, LA
    Mark king

Trayster2 likes this.
  18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    A. a real drummer does. :cool:

MM

47th Street, Leiria, ihixulu and 3 others like this.
  19. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    So you're working hard and becoming a good bass player and you're apparently already a good drummer. Excuse me if I don't feel sorry for you.

Guys like you and Dave Grohl drive me crazy, grabbing up all the musical talent!

20. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca Never spit through an open doorway... Supporting Member

Man, forget about it. Just play the bass and forget about people's off the cuff opinions. Play the bass to your hearts content, and play the drums too. Opinions are pure Bolshevik. Forget about it........

planetdrumz, RyanJD and Trayster2 like this.