Heartfield/Fender Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OmegaZ27, Jun 9, 2011.

1. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    I've realized people are roaming around with their Fender/Heartfield DR's and Prophecy's here on TB and haven't started a club. So I'm starting one so all of you Heartfield owners can come out of hiding! :)

Basically, open to anyone who owns a Heartfield bass, be it a DR-4, DR-5, Prophecy I/II/III (Fender-labeled ones are welcome of course). And remember, no pic, no bass!

Here's some info on Heartfields in case you wanna know if you meet the criteria: HEARTFIELD CENTRAL

Here's mine:

Heartfield Prophecy II
    5501549975_c47ff2e8fe_z.png

2. Lovely! Is there a hazing ritual? OR am I just "in"?
    us4-1.jpg

3. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    Nah, you're simply in. And you get a number for your signature. Yipee... :D

1. OmegaZ27
    2. Chopshonky

Nice Prophecy by the way! Always wanted to get my hands on a III!

4. Yes Isn't it? That's the Bubinga wood that really clinches it. And it's so fun to say: 'Bubinga', Say it with me... Bubinga.

Luther and Old Blastard like this.
  5. djmb913

djmb913

Apr 23, 2008
    Charlotte, N.C.
    I see you're not getting any takers. Can I jump in here. Just got this a week ago

Attached Files:

6. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    Definitely! #3 djmb913

7. mudsound

mudsound

May 6, 2004
    I'll drag out more pics but for now...count me #4 please.

I love these guys!

Attached Files:

8. oooOOOoooOOO a 4 and a 5 :hyper:

9. Fender MB-5

mb5-pic.jpg

10. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    #4 mudsound- I've yet to try a DR-4 or DR-5! Nice basses!

11. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    Unfortunately (as far as I know), I don't think that the MB5's were classified under Heartfield. Sorry!

12. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    r1lqhw.jpg
    4j43yg.gif
    25s54cn.jpg

They are great basses and I'm fortunate to have 2 of them. One is Black Pearl Burst and the other Red Pearl Burst. (my #1 bass!) Both are DR5's.

13. Watch Carefully

Watch Carefully

Jan 21, 2009
    Media, PA
    I used to have a DR4...it was back-up to my P-Lyte (original roots-rock/rockabilly/alt. country band)...I bought them both around 1990. Mine was just like this (credit for photo goes to a Talkbass member):

Picture025.gif

It didn't fit the style of music I was making at the time. Sold it to get another P-Lyte--as back-up on the road and for use in studios--which I recently sold to finance buying a used American Deluxe Zone. I only own 3 basses: the '90 P-Lyte, the '01 Zone and a fretless Ocean TB70 for fun. No room for another Heartfield in my stable, but I'm glad to see Heartfield getting some love here...I'd dig the opportunity to get my hands on one for some jamming.

14. All very nice basses fellows. I'm lucky enough to have two of them also: A Black Pearl Burst DR-5 and a Cherry Sunburst DR-6C (neck thru). I will post pictures soon. I don't have any digtial photos of them on this computer I don't believe.

I love my DR-5. I just keep coming back to it. I just feel at home on it. :)

By the way have any of you guys had trouble with your truss rods in your Heartfield basses? The truss rod in my 6C is frozen and I can't adjust the neck which has too much forward bow to it. My guitar tech friend (who an excellent tech) is afraid to try to adjust the neck anymore.

This is a cool thread! :hyper::bassist:

15. keithmolo

keithmolo

Apr 13, 2006
    1989 Fender DR-5

I wish I played 5 string more, this thing rarely gets love.

256cj9z.jpg

pla1109 likes this.
  16. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    UPDATE:

1. OmegaZ27
    2. Chopshonky
    3. djmb913
    4. mudsound
    5. Dluxe
    6. keithmolo

17. Hmm... I had trouble tightening beyond a certain point and was able to fix it by loosening quite allot first, waiting a few days... then re-tightening, but I am no luthier.

When you say frozen: Do you mean that it doesn't want to turn, even with a fair amount of torque? OR that turning it doesn't seem to have any effect on the neck tension? Frozen in both directions?

May mean that the rod is out of position or has become snapped/detached. a snapped rod will usually have zero tension pulling back even with the strings off... If yours still pulls back when the strings are slackened it is probably going to be ok!

If it won't turn at all or if it twists the neck when tightened it may merely be out of position or it may be a warped rod. it 'might' benefit from loosening first then re-tightening.

Always go in fairly small increments with a rod adjustment - it takes a day or so for the wood to "catch up" meaning it will continue to go in the direction you've moved it a little beyond the initial result.

I should suggest posting your difficulty in the Luthiers corner for proper advice RE: correcting a bad rod. Let us know what comes of it:confused:

18. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My Black Pearl Burst needed a tweak so I took it to a local shop. All they had in 5mm was a T wrench and they could not get it to go either way. I then bought a stubby 5mm wrench and decided to take matters in my own hands! :cool: I first attempted to loosen the rod (it has a single rod) and it took a bit of effort but then I heard a "crack" and it then started to loosen. I was afraid I'd really done it, but it was just frozen as if it had not been adjusted in some time. Once I back it up a few small increments I was able to tighten it enough to get the perfect relief. I'm glad too because I did not want to tighten it anymore than I did.

19. Yeah man I would back this plan in that: you really do need your bass to be set up right for you. What's the sense in playing a bass that's not set up right because you're afraid it's too broken to set up properly?

The wood may just be settled into your current position so comfortably that it resists normal torque. Give it that loosening crack I say.

If it's too broken to adjust then you have little to lose in seeing whether a simple push beyond the norm will make it into a beauty of a player. A shop or any guy who isn't the owner will be more prudent and hesitant because if it goes badly.. how can he face that moment as a professional tech?

I'm a professional "tech" (in that I get paid to tech, not a real luthier mind you:rolleyes:), and I've learned that being too cautious to try to make something work the way it's supposed to is a waste of everyone's time.

20. Have wanted one of these for years. Picked this up on US Ebay last week - should be here in a week orso. Will post better pics then. Mine seems to have had a switch added.
    Fender Prophecy II

Attached Files:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021