1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heart's Barracuda?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by sixx788, Sep 18, 2008.

1. sixx788

sixx788

Jan 3, 2007
    Michigan
    What technique would you use to play this song? Pick? 3 finger? I have only been playing for a 1 1/2 years and that songs freaks me out when I hear the bass. If anyone knows of a video of someone playing it, I would love to see it.

2. dls59

dls59 Supporting Member

It's on Youtube, and Steve Fossen used a pick. Sorry, my laptop ate "Flash", so I cannot download a youtube file right now.

3. prokfrog

prokfrog

Mar 16, 2007
    new jersey
    I've always used two fingers. Hers a clip from several months ago.

4. derelicte

derelicte

Dec 25, 2007
    NJ/NYC
    +1 on the pick.

btw, i think the Alice in Chains + Gretchen Wilson cover takes the cake for best version of this song!!

HOLLAR!!!

:bassist::bassist:

5. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg

I've never heard that version before...that's a good one :D :bassist:

6. I've always used 2 fingers. Just start slow and work your way up. :)

7. lethargytartare

lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I'm a 2-finger player too. But if you have the patience to learn to play it with 3-fingers, that'd be a fun skill to have, and would sound great!

8. KeithPas

KeithPas Supporting Member

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    I have always used a pick with some light muting for this tune.

9. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Wow!!! I didn't know that she could sing that well. I just know that song of hers...something about a party. I forget the name.

Another singer that blew me away singing Baracuda was Fergie. Again, I didn't know she could really sing because of the material she normally sings. However, she sang with Heart on the AI gives back show. It was great. Plus she was doing one hand cart wheels. lol.

10. uethanian

uethanian

Mar 11, 2007
    yea, i'd use 2 fingers. i can do it with a 3 finger gallop, but its really not all that fast.

11. She came to Australia supporting the Police and did it here too - I was blown away. She really nailed it.

And she did the one hand cartwheels, while singing into the mike at the same time!!

12. rustinstrings

rustinstrings

Jun 17, 2007
    Nice song. Just tried to play it last night on electric guitar but missed the whammy.
    Quick question on playing the verse: how do you make the odd timing feel more natural?
    What I'm counting now is something like this:
    [1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 5 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 :] (edit: this not the whole verse, starting on the bar after "So", playing under "this aint the end -
    I saw you again today/I had to turn my heart away", another 2 bars of gallops follow, then repeat once, then come the other parts which are mostly easier).
    Where I'm galloping 1-2-3-4 1-2-3-4-5 (last gallop is replaced with open eight note), then play C note on the "1", then play leading notes on the last 2-3-4.
    Should I count it differently?