Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heat & amps/cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Buddhaful, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Buddhaful

Buddhaful

May 17, 2005
    Just curious if leaving either an amp or a cabinet in a car for an extended amount of time in high heat (100 degrees plus) will damage either?

thx.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    It depends. If it can be seen from outside, and you are in a poor neighbourhood with high crime rates, then yes ;)

Otherwise, not much.

3. If you have ambient temperatures of 100 degrees F or more and the car is parked in the sun with the windows closed or even cracked less than an inch, you can expect the interior temperatures of the car to be 140 to 150 degrees or more. Remember the warnings about not locking little kids in the car while Mommy goes into the air conditioned store for a few items? It will melt the plastic cases of video tapes, but will it melt parts of your amp? Probably depends on the materials of the amp.

4. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Prolonged UV rays from the sun can damage speaker cones. Especially the surround of the cone. It causes them to rot and deteriorate quickly.

5. Sadly enough, my stuff is out in the car quite a while, but it hasnt messed anything up, save for making the glue holding the covering on my speaker cab melt.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Keep the cab in the trunk or at least turned upside down to help prevent UV damage.

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    so thats why the carpet on my 410 is peeling!

8. Heh, it is in the trunk whenever its in the car. Ive been trying to keep it in the house as much as possible lately though, being so hot around here.

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've done this for years, hot summer sun, cold winter freezing. My amps and cabs have been fine - never failed, but I always let the gear acclimate before plugging it in. I could imagine that the heat would soften any glue, for example that which holds on the carpeting on cabs . . .

10. Buddhaful

Buddhaful

May 17, 2005
    Thanks everybody....even the smartarse.

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I think it depends so much on what materials are used. For instance, I guess a rubber surround would be more heat sensitive than a cloth surround. Also, there's heat and then there is UV. A lot of plastics and finishes are damaged by UV exposure. I learned some of these things the hard way, working in a plastics factory in Texas.

Just an analogous story... when I lived in Texas, I kept my bike in the garage, and the heat destroyed the inner tubes, as I learned to my dismay when both of the tubes on my bike gave out, and my spare tubes were bad also, and I was quite some distance from home. I also ran over an armadillo on my bike, but that's another story.

12. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Now imagine what it's doing to the glue that holds the various components of your speakers together.

As for the opposite case, extreme cold, it's even more of a potential threat, especially to speakers. A good rule of thumb is not to have your gear endure storage conditions that you wouldn't endure yourself.

13. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    armadillos...crazy. Up here we have racoons, deer, skunks & opossums.

Anyway, I unfortunately have to leave my gear in a hot car every Wed...cause I go straight from work to practice. I'm like a concerned mother on these days. I leave the windows cracked, and move my car periodically during the day to a shady spot. I'm more worried about my bass in the heat though. My amp (Trace) is built like a tank and has continued to work through it's share of threating situations.

14. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Good God sir, amps and cabs are bad enough, but leaving your instrument alone in a car is as bad as doing so with a child or dog. Take it into the workplace, unless it's a foundry.

15. I would take the atleast the bass out of the car. I used to leave all my gear in my car while i was at school becuase I have practice right after. and my frets and pickups both started to get rust on them and when I got to practice I would open the case to my bass and find condinsation in the case. And Im not guitar expert but I do not think that this could be good for my bass, so I just started to carry my jazz bass in its flight case all day at school. it really builds up your arm muscles also :)