Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heat and cases

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by carl-anton, Dec 13, 2000.

1. I own a SWR 750 amplifier and have a question regarding heat and cases. Because the salesman told me it was the best idea, regarding heat, to install the amp in a 4 unit case I did so (the amp is 3 units tall). But man, ... my fine new amp looks stupid in its case thats to big. I know its silly but it anoys me.
    So, do you think I could install it in a 3 unit case, that doesnt leave any room over the amp. The amp has a powerfull fan but the problem is that the grill (?) is on top of the amp. But I've seen others using 3 unit cases for a 750 (actually the guy from Spinal Tab!) The manual doesnt say anything about you should use bigger cases.

Thanks

By the way, my case is a Warwick RockBag, if thats any help, and the smaler one would be one like this too.

2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Heat can really be an enemy to electronic equipment.The cooler that your amps stays the longer it may last. Heat does stress components and will reduce their service life. I'm certain that you could go with the smaller rack case with no problem but why? Put a tuner or an outboard preamp in the extra space if that open area bothers you. These units are small and won't cover up the cooling fan. Just MHO.

----------------------------------------------------
    Less is more...more or less, bassically speaking.

3. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    I own a SWR Mo' Bass amp. It's also a 3 unit amp and I keep it in a 4 unit SKB case. Currently there is a 19" blind panel above it but my wireless will be placed there soon.
    (It looked really, really cool with a Korg DTR-2 tuner above it but that thing S#@&S.)

The outside of an SWR amp gets hotter than some other brands. That's actually a good thing, the more heat on the outside the less is on the inside. I would recomend keeping it in a 4 unit case.

4. Do you know what would be really cool for that... a blank panel with louvers that is chrome plated to match the front panel on the 750.

5. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    If you get a rack case with extra slots, It's only begging to have those filled too. I don't know about the venting on your amp. Perhaps the manufacture has some guidelines.

jc

6. Okay, seems like I have to revise my aesthetics. I wrote to SWR and here's the answer (great and fast support by the way!):

"It is recommended that your Bass 750 be installed in a 4 space rack to allow enough open space directly above the unit for proper ventilation. If you are concerned about aesthetics, you can always install a one space rack grating that will fill the space yet still allow heat to escape. These are available at most music stores and online dealers such as Musician's Friend."

...so I'm going to keep the 4 unit rackcase!

Thank you for your answers.

Lars