Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heat damage?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Apr 27, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Can leaving your bass inside of your trunk (in a case) during the day or night cause permanant damage due to the temperature changes? Doesn't it cause the wood to grow/shrink, thusly cracking the bonds or something?!?!?!?

2. I don't know about permanent damage, but exposing
    a wooden musical instrument to drastic temperature changes causes the wood to expand when the temp increases, and contract when it cools. What might cause damage is if the bass is made of more than one kind of wood, the different
    wood types may expand/contract at different rates
    and this is what will give you problems. I also read that the finish of a guitar will expand/contract at a different rate than the wood, and this can cause permanent cracks in the finish.

Remember the 3 "Bs" that don't belong in your trunk overnight: Your Bass
    Your baby
    Your beer

Wives/girlfriends are to determined on a case by case basis.

Mike J.

3. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I have to agree.Leaving your bass in the trunk of a car is not a great idea.Even if you knew that the temperature variation overnight was not going to be very much,it'll still mess around with the way the bass plays since the body and neck will have shifted around slightly from the temp variations.Some basses will be more susceptible to this than others.An exception might be a bass made from carbon fiber or other man made materials.Cold temperatures overnight can cause finishes[esp. old lacquer jobs] to craze or crack.Another object for that list is pool cues.If you value your cue don't leave outdoors overnight.

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    If you do, remember to keep the air conditioning on, and don't put her in the trunk! Give her a nice climate to relax in. ;)

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    It was an accident, but any way, I would be able to see any damage right? Its not like some internal thing I'll never know about?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You will never know about it until the bass spontaneously combusts or the neck breaks in half at the 12th fret in the middle of a gig.

Seriously, if you see no damage, the fingerboard is not warped or starting to come loose from the neck, the neck is not severely bowed or back bowed and the action is OK, the bass is probably fine.