Heat My Rosin!!!!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by chrismmc, Oct 6, 2004.

1. :help: I have heard about heating rosin when it gets dry...but what is the best method...a lighter,microwave,squeeze in in your hands...anybody have any reccommendations?
    Any bad experiences they could relate?
  2. kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    Putting it under a lamp with the bulb close to the rosin cake has always worked for me. I use a piano lamp with a 25 watt bulb.

Since the moisture within the rosin is similar to turpentine, it wouldn't seem like a good idea to put it in the microwave as those vapors will be introduced to the microwave when it's cooked. Probably not a concern, just my own paranoia.
  3. Thanks!I don't have a piano lamp...but may invest in one...
    What about the other ways-lighter,rubbing-???
  4. kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    It doesn't need to be a piano lamp. Any lamp where you can get the rosin close to the bulb -like a desk lamp- will work fine.

I haven't tried rubbing the rosin. I've had some success by keeping in my pocket but then you run the risk of the rosin sticking to the pocket lining as it gets warm.

When my teacher applies rosin he rubs the bow (near the frog) very quickly like he's starting a fire. That works too, but I've ended breaking bow hair when I've done it.
  5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Rosin wrapped in foil, like Nyman's, would be a really bad idea in the microwave. . . I use an ordinary desk lamp and just hold it close for a while. I have had success in dry spells with putting a bit of wet cloth in the rosin can. Seems to bring back a bit of life.
  6. hi, i used to put pops in the microwave and it softened right up... I recommend taking it out of the wax paper and putting it in another type of container 1st
  7. Thanks!Will try...Here is another question I have(yes,I am new to this instrument...)
    I read on another thread,a reference to cleaning the rosin off of the strings and bow after playing...I have never done this in the past...is this something I should be doing?My teacher has never told me to do this...maby I should ask more questions...
  8. I usually clean my strings with either a copper brillo pad wiping down towards the tailpiece, or a green 3m pad (not as good). as far as cleaning the bow hair, I never do, I just get a rehair... but if the hair gets real gunky, i use a brand new hard bristle tooth brush and run it through the hair from frog to tip (never from tip to frog)...
  9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Kurt, you rock...
  10. Actually,I use POP'S ROSIN,so it is wrapped in a paper cup...which I removed,but later replaced with a notepad-type paper.plus-aluminium foil in the microwave is just a bad idea anyway.
  11. G-force

Jul 1, 2004
    oslo Norway
    Hey, Using a metal brillo pad will actually wear the calibration of the string down affecting the vibration so watch out. Using alcohol to claean the stirngs does this w/o any threat of dammage to the string. I never did feel the 3m pad worked. Only a cosmetic solution.

As for POPs try putting pulverized rosins from the freezer in "tea light" candel foil cups. Small portions which are easy to control.
    In sweden the old Carlsons used foil used by the state wine monopoly. Thats why there is a bunch of grapes on the bottom. But of course the skiwax masters of the universe Norway have yet to use their skills to develop a good bass rosin..
  12. Contra|Brett|

Oct 6, 2004
    I put my rosin in it's tub, then in my pocket, then i run.
  13. rhughes@whidbey

Dec 19, 2010
    I buy boxes of the little cloth squares saturated with alcohol that are used before hypodermic injections (found in most drug stores) and keep them in the pocket of my bass bag. Always handy for string-cleaning and no need to lug around a bottle of alcohol.
  14. rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    I like this tip... easy and practical
  15. rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
    I am very new at this, I use Pop's the other types of rosin looks and feel like Violin Rosin just powder... POP's is the only one that I have its like wax helping my bow to get some traction... now every time that I am going to use it, I have to fight with the container it seems like it always sticking to the container... should I wrap it in wax paper maybe?

My teacher said that POP's is the best for him
  16. MandShef

Jul 5, 2012
    Sheffield, UK
    Hi, Chrismmc I use Pops, and in cold weather, or when it's lost its stickiness, I just pop it on the radiator for a minute. I give the bass & strings a wipe with a soft duster after playing. Rgarcia26 Pops usually comes wrapped in wax paper inside a little red pot, so if yours isn't wrapped I would get some wax paper to wrap it in 'cos it's liable to get runny & stick to the pot as you describe.
  17. rgarcia26

Jun 9, 2008
    Miami Florida
  18. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I used to try this at work with different rosins and such... In the end it was easier to just buy fresh rosin... http://www.bassrosin.com/

Or in a pinch, break it half or cut off a layer to get at a fresher layer.

After trying so many different rosins and rosin experiments over the years (a perk of being an orchestra teacher) I've found that freshness of rosin matter much more than brand.... Rock on....
  19. Rocky

Rocky Banned

Jul 21, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Please explain how exactly would that happen? I would think one would have to be quite aggressive and wear away the wrap in order to affect the calibration of a string for any audible affect that would be noticeable, but I could be wrong. I have been using a scrub pot pad on my spiros for the past few years, and never had a problem, but I don't use allot of pressure when I do this.
  20. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i hold mine in my hands and blow into them a few times. warms it up just fine