Heat warping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Serac, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Allright, I know the major expression for how good a bass’s condition is is “If you’re comfortable than your bass is comfortable.” But what if I’m not comfortable? Will my bass be comfortable too?

I live in New England, thus the crazy weather changes. That means in summer it can reach temps of up to 100, and in winter lower than 0. It’s somewhat cool, but what’ll I do for my bass? It must be close to 100 now, and it’s not getting any cooler.

Now that you know my climate, do you have any suggestions on where to store it?

AND what kind of damage might occur to my bass, and IF my bass is the only one effected? Like will the amp be affected by heat too?
  2. I live in New England too. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I have never had any kind of damage due to the climate changes here. However you will notice that you will have to adjust your neck and set the intonation when going from one season to the next. If you notice your strings starting to buzz on the frets or the action seems to have gotten higher it is time for an adjustment. If you are inexperienced at this, have a pro look at it. Also they will be able to notice if there are any problems.

Other than that it is pretty much common sense. I wouldn't leave my bass in the car for a long period of time if it where extremely hot or cold outside. You won't have to store it, but it is better off in you case than on a stand when not playing, just to protect it from getting dings and scratches. If you have a bass that you are not playing it is also better off in it's case rather than on display on a stand. In time the elements (indoors) will reek havoc on the finish and strings. Although I am guilty of that one.

I have done gigs in hot weather outside as well as outside when it was too cold too feel your fingers and so far so good.
  3. Serac

May 29, 2005
    Tanks. :)