1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heathens by Twenty One Pilots (Bass Fuzz)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassist96, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    Hey friends of bass land

Been listening to this tune and in the breakdown section of the song there is a really cool Bass fuzz sound, does anyone know what he is using to get that sound, or can recommend anything that would come close e.g.; Darkglass Duality or a Big Muff

Cheers

2. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Sounds like a fuzz combined with an octave pedal. You'd probably be better off looking at synth pedals than just solo fuzzes.
    What bass is he playing? It looks like a Starcaster, but its got a P/J pickup config(?)

3. GnarwhalNick

GnarwhalNick

Jan 18, 2011
    It's a Jaguar

4. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    its a Jaguar bass, either fender or Squier VM

5. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh yeah! Oops!
    For some reason I thought the volume controls looked like cutaways, and I was thoroughly confused.
    I even own a Jaguar.

Keep moving. Nothing to see here.

Tourniquet Man likes this.
  6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I'd bet a hundy that the track was recorded with a Moog Sub Phatty... the bass guitar was just for showing in the video.

TerribleLiar23, ole Jason and StayLow like this.
  7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    they were just on SNL last week, can't remember if its the same song but he definitely played that Jag live. I've seen him play it on live concerts on Palladia too.

8. Bassist96

Bassist96

Jan 13, 2013
    Australia
    Cheers guys! But can anyone recommend a certain pedal or a grouping of pedals to get something like this sound? (Obviously cant be 100% replicated if its a synth bass)

9. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't have any experience with them, but maybe something like the Multiwave Bass Distortion from Source Audio, would get you tones in the ballpark(?):

10. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    I've checked out a few of their live videos and there's only two of them including live performances. so, they're using backing tracks to supplement their live performance. I'm sticking with moog sub phatty.

11. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    It's a squire VM Short Scale (the only ones that came with that pickup config and that black headstock). The bridge and the keys have been visibly replaced.

12. Kenny Sipe

Kenny Sipe

Sep 7, 2019
    EEA17865-8561-4161-B2C5-B4DDD16DAD36.jpeg 06E2AA14-AD25-4838-BFD2-B71A57F3C7A9.jpeg

13. Kenny Sipe

Kenny Sipe

Sep 7, 2019
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 23, 2021