Heating SMell from My Amp Head When the fan starts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sickenedhub, Oct 26, 2016.

1. sickenedhub

sickenedhub

Oct 9, 2016
    (SORRY IF THERES MISTAKES ENGLISH IS NOT MY FIRST LANGUAGE)

I Have a Gk1001RB-ii amp head, I once had an incident where I connected my amp to a cab that wasnt GK and didnt have a horn with my GK SPeakon speaker made to Use the Bi-amp, the head overheated but everything still works perfectly fine, sound is perfect and I now use 1\4 jacks in a GK115RBX and a AMPEG BSE410HS ( EVERYTHING WORKS THERE NO PROBS)

the problem is that when the fan of the amp head starts theres a (SMALL) smell of heating coming from it, I know that the overheating came from something connected to the fan ( So I guess its related to the stupid incident), I also guess that it might be a minor problem,
    Still, the smell only comes when the fan starts so I installed beside my amp a fan (the type of fan you use when its too hot during summer) pointing in the direction of my amp ( the fan barely never starts when the other one is on) so theres never any smell coming from the amp, anyone could tell me what they think about this situation ? do you think its just a remaining smell ? should I do something about it ? Btw I bought it used so I dont have anyway support from any shop in particular

PS : THeres no smoke and no sparkles ( there have been sparkles only when the first incident occured, never since, never after that one time where the amp went into protection mode, was still working right after the incident)
    suggestions ?

thanks

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

What comes to my mind is the horn amp of the amp. Could be that the non GK cabinet has a short on the second pair. Try using a non GK SpeakOn speaker cable.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  3. sickenedhub

sickenedhub

Oct 9, 2016
    im now actually using Non GK 1\4 jack speaker cable, for both cabs and it still does it

4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Is it a four core cable? if so the problem remains.

5. sickenedhub

sickenedhub

Oct 9, 2016
    Good question, how do I see that on a 1\4 speaker cable ?

6. sickenedhub

sickenedhub

Oct 9, 2016
    I Have to mention that the Amp Doesnt turn into overheating mod like the one time of the incident, Its only smelling when the fan starts, the amp isnt even that hot when I touch it, seems pretty normal, doesnt smell before the fan starts, also the smell is very less powerful than the first time, usually Im the only one in the room who notice when the fan starts, unlike the first time when the smell persisted in the room for the rest of the jam

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021