1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heaven 17 X 2 = 34

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by -Asdfgh-, Nov 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Second time this year, so a review and a comparison...

This time round the support was Blancmange. I thought I only knew one track, but it seems that a youth misspent listening to John Peel sessions and watching the Oxford Road Show meant I knew more than I realised, and liked it. Apart from the overall notes below the main issue was that their songs end abruptly live!

One of Heaven 17s backing singers this time round was replaced by Billie Godfrey. Back in August the other singer was heavily pregnant, so it's understandable. The other singer isn't yet pregnant so was unchanged. Godfrey has a more classic soul sound a little more like Carol Kenyon, also purer. The other singer brings a more contemporary vocal style. It's slightly scary to think that Godfrey was about three when Temptation was a hit, and the other singer about minus three! Glenn Gregory's voice seems absolutely undimmed by the passage of time.

Martyn Ware is like your favourite funky uncle, joined by an Amazonian goddess of synth at the back, the only non singing member. In my limited emailing he seems as avuncular. This time out Gregory swore much less.

It seemed that between August and November a number of tracks had been remixed, although the running order seemed much the same, and it was a great show, although lacking visuals

The main issue this time was sound. In Holmfirth it was pretty much perfect. Last night the venue had a large open area then a low ceilinged tunnel with small repeater speakers (maybe 6 inch woofers) and the sound lacked mids.

2. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2006
    You win the award for "Most Mysterious Thread Title"...:cautious:

murphy likes this.
  3. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I debated using 17 X 2 = 37, but that only makes sense if you know a specific Heaven 17 song lyric.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Temptation...shoot that poison arrow.......Tina turner....yes I remember them