Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

heavier string guages

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by greendayjustin, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Will heaveir sting guages help get rid of the buzz on my E (mostly on the first 5 frets)string? Apart from adjusting my bridge, is there anything else I should be concerned about? I'm switching from .100 to .105 guage. Thanks!

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The saddle on the "E" string may be too low.
    also check for neck relief, it may need a little.
    It is also possible the nut is the problem (cut too low).
    if you are unsure what to do or how to go about it, have it set up professionally.

3. Yes, heavier strings will change your action, but you can raise the saddle to adjust for string buzzing.

Once you string your bass with the heavier guage strings you will need to adjust the relief on your neck and reintonate your bass.

You may also need to check the grooves in the nut, make sure they are wide enough to accomadate the larger strings!

If you have any questions check out the links below for help or ask us!

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

http://www.mrgearhead.com/squierfaq/basssetup.html

Have Fun!!

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. True..Fret buzz shouldn't be an issue directly related to string gauges.. Changing your string gauges will affect tension though! Heavie strings will bring more tension at standard tuning than regular strings, which feels very different in your fingers.. take that in count if you still want to go with heavier gauges after adjusting the neck relief and the action.

5. If i were to give the neck some more relief, would that help with less buzz? I have a Fender P bass...which way should i turn the truss rod?
    Thanks for the help:bassist:

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes it would, and you turn the truss rod counter clockwise no more than 1/8 to a 1/4 turn at a time. Let the neck sit for awile to adjust fully to the set, repeat again only if necessary, though that first adjustment should be enough. play all that notes on the neck after the first adjustment to see if the buzz is gone.

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    just make sure you don't get any buzz. and adjust the neck if you have to also. i changed from a .45-.130, to .55-.135. when i got them on, omg, the clarity kicked ass. and they are so much tighter and sound crisper too man.

8. Read THIS FIRST

Turn the Truss Rod counter clockwise no more than 1/8 to a 1/4 turn at a time.

Let the neck sit for awile to adjust fully to the set, repeat again only if necessary, you will also need to reintonate your bass once you adjust the relief!!!

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. So, if I switch to heavier guage strings, will I have to add more relief to the neck?

10. If this is a nut problem...How would I go about changing a nut?