Heaviest bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Whats the heaviest bass you've ever played?

I think for me it was a MusicMan Stingray 4. I love those though and I wanna get one some day.
  2. mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Thumb 6......those are about 2lbs. heavier than a ray
  3. Peavey T-40, notorious for being heavy, most people say its one of the worst basses ot there, I like them. If I ever get the money, Ill get one cheap form ebay
  4. phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    The heaviest I have played (although I'm sure there are heavier ones) is a Stingray 5. Sounds awesome but, man, it's a big load on your shoulders.
  5. I have an old Crown 4 string, I will have to weigh it to be sure, but it weighs a ton.....Heavier than any Gibson I have ever played and they are heavy.......
  6. A friend of mine has an old Shecter that weighs close to 25 pounds and I ain't kiddin! It is the absolute heaviest bass I've ever encountered.
  7. maxoges

Aug 23, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I agree! I play a stingray 5 and it is heavy! I sit down when I play (because of a small handicap) so I only suffer from the weight when a go to a gig =D
  8. Heaviest bass I've ever played was a custom Alembic made of Solid ebony. I'm not kidding. It must've weighed at least 20 lbs. I must admit that 25 lb. Schecter story is hard to swallow but I'd sure like to see a pic of it. BTW wasn't there a thread on this same topic a couple weeks ago.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Give it up. When Turner shows up, he's gonna talk about a 35-pound bass. He'll probably force us to look at a picture of it again, too. YAAAAAAaaaaaaa!!!
  10. I have a Renaissance plexiglass bodied bass that's the heaviest bass I've ever played, I have a T40 to compare it to and this bass is heavier. Alembic certainly makes some heavy basses as well.
  11. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    You guys think Stingray 4s and 5s are heavy? Stingrays usually weigh between 9 and 10 lbs. which is average for a Fender style bass.

You guys must be playing Sticks!
  12. I was just thinkin the sane thing
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I gotta say my Spectors are REALLY heavy. Pretty much any maple bass is heavy.

Hey JT, I can always use another dose of any of your basses!!! :)
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

For me, it was a Hamer 2Tek...10 1/2lbs.
  15. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I played an old 60s ovation... The freakin thing looked like it came right out of the partridge family and weighed at least 20 pounds. Sounded rich though.... :)
  16. Ibanez Musician, Peavey T40, Yamaha TRB6P.
  17. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My 77 Fender Jazz weigh's in at about 12 lbs. She's a monster but what beautiful tone that comes out of it.
  18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    My Curbow Int'l Petite 5-string is pretty damn heavy. IT's got a rockwood neck, and a rockwood body with a tone block made of brass under the bridge. On the other hand, my '89 Curbow custom fretless weighs about 6 lbs.
  19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dammit, stealin' my thunder again. :mad: :D
  20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, we aim to please :D

from left to right, they weigh 16 lbs, 15 lbs, 11 lbs, 12 lbs, 11 lbs, 27 lbs(the doubleneck).

the new girl...

... is also one of the lighter 7 strings, and weighs in at about 11 pounds.