1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

heaviest recommended gauge for J

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jaromir, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hello,
    I'm wondering if there is any heaviest recommended gauge for a Jazz bass. Right now I'm using and enjoying GHS 55-105 flats but was told that these are too much for Jazz bass, due to it's thinner neck, compare to Precision...
    I like this gauge because 99% of time I play upright and with this gauge on the Jazz bass I feel at home.

2. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    As long as your truss rod will allow for an adjustment to compensate for the additional tension it will be fine. Be sure that it's not maxed out now with those 55-105's on it. What type of J is it? Fender? USA? MIM? Other Brand? All these factors could determine if your truss rod will accommodate. Why such heavy strings anyway? There may be an easier solution to get what you're seeking...

3. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Duhhhhh.... I see you said that you play Upright, so the heavy gauge is comfortable for you (I missed that point at first reading) but String diameter and resultan tension does not necessarily mean a "Tighter" feel. Also, how's the J's action compared to the Upright? I'm sure it's lower but maybe it's TOO low?

4. exidor

exidor

Jul 10, 2011
    Detroit,MI
    I'm just throwing in my 2cents my conviction is that jazz basses were made for 45-105 all the live long day.but what you have should not be a problem.does your bass have support rods?

5. Thank you guys for your suggestions!
    To specify my bass - it's early 80's Fullerton Jazz. My action is 5mm (G) and 6mm (E) at the very end of fingerboard. Maybe still too high.
    I might look for 45-105 set for the Jazz and save the 55-105 for Precision, if I can get some...

6. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    I think the bass neck can handle it, if you tweek it from time to time.

I see you like your GHS strings a lot and that you play upright. Have you ever tried Thomastik Infeld Jazz strings?

You could try the flats or the roundwounds and perhaps they have the sound you are looking for :) They are a bit expensive, but give it a go. You can get a .100 or a .105 for the E string.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Thomastik-Infeld-T-I-JAZZ-Flatwound--4-String-Set_p_238.html

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Thomastik-Infeld-T-I-JAZZ-Round-Wound--4-String-Set_p_241.html

7. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Both Herbie Flowers and McCartney have used RotoSound Tru Bass 88s on their Jazz basses, and the E is .115

8. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Action is a matter of taste and ability but 6mm is about 1/8'', many consider that on the high side. I believe you refer to the clearance between the bottom of the G string and the last fret. Try to get the G down around 3mm and the E down to 4mm. This is the "High" setting that we use here at the shop. My basses are set a bit lower, but not the lowest we can get. Also, if you get buzz, make sure you have about 1mm clearance at the 8th fret with the first fret capoed and the the G fretted at the last fret. Futz around with these action/relief settings until you are comfortable... :hyper:might even enjoy developing some new technique.

9. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    My main bass has a really thin neck(I personally prefer thick C shaped necks), but I have strung it with .118-.049 round core roundwounds and .110-.50 hex core flats with no problem. Flats have higher tension of course but your P flats have a round core giving them less.

10. Actually, I measured my action between the string and the fingerboard, NOT the fret. Sorry for the confusion!
    And yes, I've tried the TI flats and as much I love the sound, I just can't handle the soft feel of these string. They are so thin and soft. But maybe I'll try them again because the sound is really great, very lively.
    Interesting about Mc Cartney strings, wow, 115! So it seems the Jazzbass can handle it. Maybe just from Mc Cartney, though :)
    Thanks again for your input, it's really helpful!

11. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    actually 6mm is closer to 1/4 inch..
    ;)
    and yes..thats very high..(1/8" too..for my blood)

12. And thank you Ian for your setup guidelines, that's really helpfull!

13. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    It's always my pleasure to share any information that may help!

14. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Jazz basses were designed in a time when every bass was strung with flatwounds. So tensionwhise it shouldn't be a problem to install fat flat strings.

I do consider your action a little high. This may cause some intonation problems due to extra stretching at higher fret positions.

15. Ian_Flash

Ian_Flash

Jan 17, 2013
    Yep, 1mm is about 3/64" so 6mm is WAY HIGH. I usually shoot for 5/64" on the treble side at the last fret and 1/8" on the bass side... then try to get closer if I want very low action. Also, an extreme front bow in the neck will cause high action from around the 8th fret and up.

16. JPMo

JPMo

Dec 27, 2010
    Canton, Ga
    I don't remember what gauge hi beams I have on my jazz bass but when playing up high on the E string, I get a chorus-y, almost wooly sound from past the 15th or so fret. I don't really know how else to describe it, but when I had sunbeams on another jazz bass, I don't remember having that sound. Is this a product of a high gauge or stainless steel strings?

17. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Aren't those nylon tapewound strings? They will be way under tension if you use standard gauges.