1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heaviest Solid State/Hybrid Bass Heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Omega Monkey, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    Just wondering what the absolutely heaviest amp heads are that you guys are aware of (while still having a solid state power section). I recently got 2 fairly heavy ones which are great but a bit of a beast to move around, and they're not even the heaviest I'm aware of. So it got me thinking about what some of the more extreme heads might be. Bonus points if you can provide a picture and some info, and more bonus points if the pounds to watts ratio is completely ridiculous.

Anyway, I have a Genz Benz GBE 750 and I believe that one is 33 when "naked" (no rack case/shell). But it's big brother the GBE 1200 is apparently 42. Of course you get 1200 watts, 2 separate preamp channels, and a bunch of other good stuff.

I also have a Trace AH 600-12, which is spec'd at 37 pounds. Pretty hefty already but it's big brother the AH 1200-12 (same exact amp but with 2 power sections) is 48!

I love both my amps though. So much power, tons of great features, flexible tone controls (5 band rotary on the Genz and 12 band graphic plus pre shape on the trace), extensive footswitches for live control, tube tone, etc...

But what about stuff from back in the 70s? I could imagine some of those old ACC heads being pretty beefy, etc...

So what's out there that makes your back hurt just looking at? We talk all the time about the new 7 oz 900 watt heads, etc... but what about the other extreme?