Heavy amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a Bag End S15D speaker and an Ampeg B100R. I've been thinking about purchasing the Acoustic Clarus amp to play with the Bag End because of the weight. The amp weighs 5 pounds and the speaker, 41.

The Ampeg is a great amp! I like it a lot and it booms but weighs 65 pounds. Now that I am half a century old, I don't like carrying heavy gear.

Does anyone use the Bag End S15 D with the Acoustic and if so, how does it play? Are there other light weight amps with adequate power, I believe the Bag End is a 200 watt speaker with 8 ohms.
  2. If you do end up buying the 65 lb amp, just think of me whenever you are lifting it. I weigh 135 lbs, and my 4x10 weighs nearly 100....

Good luck in your search. By the way...maybe check out nemesis(by eden) they make a 1x15 that handle 200 watts RMS @ 8 ohms and it only weighs 55...10 lbs is 10 lbs. (Oh, it lists for 464.oo bbut i gaurantee you can get it for less...)
  3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I play with two different groups - a jazz with two other players and a rock with two loud guitars and a drummer. The Ampeg handles the rock group very well, especially with my Jazz Deluxe. I use an SWR WM 10 with the jazz group, sometimes adding the Bag End when needed.

Last Saturday nite, I played with the rockers at a wedding. It was held in a large hotel and we had to go through an underground tunnel to the kitchen, up several flights of stairs and down a long hallway before we got into the party room. I was very tired at the end of the gig and it was a struggle to carry out the Ampeg. The WM 10 cannot power the Bag End loud enough for me to be heard in this group.

I started thinking....why not use the Bag End with these guys? Graham, I'm 6'2" and weigh 230 pounds but I'm 52 years old now and don't have the motivation to carry a lot of gear. 30 years ago, I had two Sunn 200S cabinets that contained 4 15" speakers. I played many places with that rig and although it weighed a ton, didn't really bother me. Now one 15" seems a lot.
  4. gotcha...
    One other thing. Idk how much $$$ you are looking to spend, but ive heard nothign but wonderful things about euphonic audio. I guess it's tiny amps w/ HUGE sound. Give em a look. I know they have a great rep. here on TB.
  5. Yep, can understand that. I'm 51 this year, 5'6" and my rack electronics are 136 pounds. Two cabs are 150 pounds each. I can shed about 70 pounds from the rack by replacing the two heavy weight QSC amps with the light weight PLX series. I can't do anything about the cabs except build smaller ones and use smaller drivers.

I had a conversation with QSC engineering, and they went on record that their PLX series amps have the same quality of reliability as the heavy weight MX series. I bought my MX pair before this conversation occurred. I was avoiding the switching power supply amps (PLX) because of the poor reliability record of switching supplies.
  6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My brother, I hear you, I'm another middle-aged guy (45) for whom lugging a lot of gear has lost what little appeal it ever had. I mean, I'm in reasonably good shape, and I *can* do it ... I just don't want to any more.

I thought about the Acoustic Image for a minute, but I didn't think it would have the headroom in the amp section that I wanted. Never got to try one, so I can't tell you how it sounds.

I ended up getting an Eden WT-400, which puts out 400 W into 4 ohms and weighs only about 15 pounds. You might be able to find one of these used, or its smaller brother the WT-300. New, they're kind of pricy. The best deal I could manage on a new WT-400 was $799. You could probably find a used one for around the price of a new Acoustic Image ($600 or so).

I bet one of those Edens would sound great with your Bag End.
  7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000