1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heavy amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Steve S, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I have a Bag End S15D speaker and an Ampeg B100R. I've been thinking about purchasing the Acoustic Clarus amp to play with the Bag End because of the weight. The amp weighs 5 pounds and the speaker, 41.

The Ampeg is a great amp! I like it a lot and it booms but weighs 65 pounds. Now that I am half a century old, I don't like carrying heavy gear.

Does anyone use the Bag End S15 D with the Acoustic and if so, how does it play? Are there other light weight amps with adequate power, I believe the Bag End is a 200 watt speaker with 8 ohms.

2. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Let's make a deal... Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    If you do end up buying the 65 lb amp, just think of me whenever you are lifting it. I weigh 135 lbs, and my 4x10 weighs nearly 100....

Good luck in your search. By the way...maybe check out nemesis(by eden) they make a 1x15 that handle 200 watts RMS @ 8 ohms and it only weighs 55...10 lbs is 10 lbs. (Oh, it lists for 464.oo bbut i gaurantee you can get it for less...)

3. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    I play with two different groups - a jazz with two other players and a rock with two loud guitars and a drummer. The Ampeg handles the rock group very well, especially with my Jazz Deluxe. I use an SWR WM 10 with the jazz group, sometimes adding the Bag End when needed.

Last Saturday nite, I played with the rockers at a wedding. It was held in a large hotel and we had to go through an underground tunnel to the kitchen, up several flights of stairs and down a long hallway before we got into the party room. I was very tired at the end of the gig and it was a struggle to carry out the Ampeg. The WM 10 cannot power the Bag End loud enough for me to be heard in this group.

I started thinking....why not use the Bag End with these guys? Graham, I'm 6'2" and weigh 230 pounds but I'm 52 years old now and don't have the motivation to carry a lot of gear. 30 years ago, I had two Sunn 200S cabinets that contained 4 15" speakers. I played many places with that rig and although it weighed a ton, didn't really bother me. Now one 15" seems a lot.

4. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove Let's make a deal... Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    gotcha...
    One other thing. Idk how much $$$ you are looking to spend, but ive heard nothign but wonderful things about euphonic audio. I guess it's tiny amps w/ HUGE sound. Give em a look. I know they have a great rep. here on TB.

5. Yep, can understand that. I'm 51 this year, 5'6" and my rack electronics are 136 pounds. Two cabs are 150 pounds each. I can shed about 70 pounds from the rack by replacing the two heavy weight QSC amps with the light weight PLX series. I can't do anything about the cabs except build smaller ones and use smaller drivers.

I had a conversation with QSC engineering, and they went on record that their PLX series amps have the same quality of reliability as the heavy weight MX series. I bought my MX pair before this conversation occurred. I was avoiding the switching power supply amps (PLX) because of the poor reliability record of switching supplies.

6. My brother, I hear you, I'm another middle-aged guy (45) for whom lugging a lot of gear has lost what little appeal it ever had. I mean, I'm in reasonably good shape, and I *can* do it ... I just don't want to any more.

I thought about the Acoustic Image for a minute, but I didn't think it would have the headroom in the amp section that I wanted. Never got to try one, so I can't tell you how it sounds.

I ended up getting an Eden WT-400, which puts out 400 W into 4 ohms and weighs only about 15 pounds. You might be able to find one of these used, or its smaller brother the WT-300. New, they're kind of pricy. The best deal I could manage on a new WT-400 was $799. You could probably find a used one for around the price of a new Acoustic Image ($600 or so).

I bet one of those Edens would sound great with your Bag End.

7. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000